Writing to the CO

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Jimbleep, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, this is not a wahh but...

Writing to the CO, is there a certain unspoken decorum when writing letters to the boss? Maybe I'll get MLARRed off of this site, but it's a serious concern. :?

2. I am sure that things are different now, but military letters always used to follow a format along the lines of:-

Sir, I am 12345678 Pte Tango34,

bla, bla, bla

Sir, I remain your Obedient Servent,

12345678 Pte Tango34
    1 Civ Div
    UK

Make sure you spell check it! I once didn't and got the best part of 20 extra's :)

3. I suggest you find a copy of the old JSP 101, and write a formal letter (Sir, I have the honour to refer to.... I have the honour to remain, Sir, Your obedient Servant... etc)

In theory, the new JSP 101 seems to have done away with formal letters, but I still think it would be safer to write a formal one.

Mind you, depends what you're writing about...

4. That'll be 20 more please :wink:

Nasch - thanks, just with regards to the Bounty and clearing up loose ends.

5. msr

msr LE

If it is a formal letter, get your PSAO to check it before you send it.

If not, don't worry about the layout etc. But dnt wrt n txt spk m8 ;)

msr

6. I was told to just make it look like any other letter. Ur addresse top right, date below it, then below that on the left the CO's address....

[align=right]Pte Random McRandom
    123 Big road
    Town
    County
    Post Code

Date[/align]
    The Commanding Officer
    Unit title
    Road address
    Town
    County/ city
    post code

Dear Sir,

Bla Bla Bla

I remain sir/ma'ma
    Your obediant servant

Pte R McRandom
    Sqdn/ coy etc

Hope this helps!

T C

7. Based on some of the ones I served under the opening gambit of 'Dear Cnut' would't have gone amiss :D

8. I have the honour to be,
    Sir,
    Your obedient Servant

Thats what I have always used, the last one I wrote to my CO just had his address in the left, date on the right and started with:

Sir,
    REQUEST FOR PERMISSION BLAH BLAH................

1.I have the honour to request........

9. I have the honour to be,
    Sir,
    Your obedient Servant

Thats what I have always used, the last one I wrote to my CO just had his address in the left, date on the right and started with:

Sir,
    REQUEST FOR PERMISSION BLAH BLAH................

1.I have the honour to request........

10. [align=right]Pte Your Name
    Address line 1
    Address line 2
    Post Code
    Tel number
    [/align]

Dear Lt Col Surname, (don't use 'Dear Sir')

Letter Topic

Text

I have the honour to be,
    Sir,
    Your obedient servant.

Pte Your Name

11. Ignore this lot. CO's get loads of official post and have difficulty clasifying which is important and which bits aren't. To help them out, just get a scrap of paper and write the following:

Boss,

A quick note to let you know that I still haven't got my bounty/telic medal/promotion/compensation for your dog humping mine and giving it the doggy clap (Delete as appropriate).

Sort it out or I'll take a dump on your desk/chest/sh1tty dog (Delete as appropriate).

Cheers,

<Insert Nickname>

P.S. If you can't figure out who I am, by my nickname, then you're not in tune with your lads.

12. Do not abreviate (sp?) in your post. They're Lieutenant Colonel, not Lt Col, you're Second Lieutenant, not 2Lt etc.

13. I have been asked to 'pen a letter' to my OC regarding a request for a transfer. Does the same structure apply re: 'I remain your honourable servant' etc.? The CSM seemed to suggest a scribble on a bit of paper would suffice.

PTSN

14. Don't bother writting him a letter - just walk into his office and tell him. Or even better, pop round to his house and tell him.

I'm sure he won't mind.

15. .............................