Writing a novel about the Falklands ...

BRP

Swinger
I posted this in the Navy Net UK forum, and it was suggested for me to duplicate here because there may be members on this forum that can help me (sorry if this topic should be in a different area of the forum):

I'm an author from the states and have started the research stage of an upcoming novel that I will be writing about the Falklands conflict. I am married to a Naval Officer (Lt. Cdr.), and my wife and I are flying to England in March to conduct on-location research for the novel and hopefully meet with and interview some veterans of the war (I already have one medic from the Galahad lined up and possibly another CPO).

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with either getting in touch with any veteran of the war (does not have to be naval) or help me pass on a message to any available veterans (if no one is comfortable giving me contact info directly.)

Just to legitimatize myself: other than being married to a Lt. Cdr., I have been a police officer since 2002 and have published four novels since 2007, with one of them nominated for a Hugo Award.

Thank you for your time and any assistance anyone might be able to help with.

BRP

Swinger
I sent him a message too. It said May was the last time he was on here. Hopefully he'll be notified via email about the new messages.

I posted this in the Navy Net UK forum, and it was suggested for me to duplicate here because there may be members on this forum that can help me (sorry if this topic should be in a different area of the forum):

I'm an author from the states and have started the research stage of an upcoming novel that I will be writing about the Falklands conflict. I am married to a Naval Officer (Lt. Cdr.), and my wife and I are flying to England in March to conduct on-location research for the novel and hopefully meet with and interview some veterans of the war (I already have one medic from the Galahad lined up and possibly another CPO).

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with either getting in touch with any veteran of the war (does not have to be naval) or help me pass on a message to any available veterans (if no one is comfortable giving me contact info directly.)

Just to legitimatize myself: other than being married to a Lt. Cdr., I have been a police officer since 2002 and have published four novels since 2007, with one of them nominated for a Hugo Award.

Thank you for your time and any assistance anyone might be able to help with.
Not an interview , but may I recommend reading a few books.

Is you're novel naval based, land based or both? Is the Falklands just a back drop to another story?

BRP

Swinger

Is you're novel naval based, land based or both? Is the Falklands just a back drop to another story?

It's going to be about the actual return from the war and trying to normalize after what had just happened. There will be very little "war" scenes in the novel. It's going to take place during a veterans return home and what happens, emotionally, psychologically, even physically, after the return.

BRP

Swinger

And I have read a few books, watched countless documentaries with interviews from the 80s, and also about 5 or so actual "Hollywood" films. Plus all the extracurricular research I've done with articles, textbooks etc.

It's going to be about the actual return from the war and trying to normalize after what had just happened. There will be very little "war" scenes in the novel. It's going to take place during a veterans return home and what happens, emotionally, psychologically, even physically, after the return.
Try this and the book '100 days by sandy woodward for background info.

'When you're 19 you're Superman'

Might be worth contacting these guys.

http://type21club.org/category/falklands-war/

Falklands Veterans Foundation including Liberty Lodge

BRP

Swinger

I don't know how many novels there are about the return from that conflict and the obstacles of returning to normal life (whether it be wife and kids etc) after fighting in a battle that had so much other distractions surrounding it. I'm certainly not going to claim that I'm reinventing the wheel, but so many books are about the war itself (and not just Falklands). Novels about what happens to the veterans after the war are not so common. Whereas most books cover the battle(s) themselves, this one will start during the return home and follow forward linear from there. I don't want to compare it to this, but the best example I have of this approach and direction I am planning on going that most people know is Born on the Fourth of July.

Latest Threads