Writer with no combat experience

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Agamemnon1979, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a writer working on a novel in which one of the characters was in Afghanistan for months until the got his foot crushed in a car accident in Spring this year. His actual time there makes up a small part of the action, but if I write it with only the **** all I know about what's going on over there in mind it'll be bollocks.

Anyone think they can help me out with this? If I sell a million I'll cut you in as a 'consultant' :D

2. Is the character a chef?
  3. Nah, not a chef. Why?
  4. Despite being ex-army or close to it as I'm ex-REME, I had no combat experience save for fights downtown in Minden but I still managed to bluff a few long and extremely boring tales.

I just used my (very) limited experience and the internet to fill in the gaps. Of course in a spoof reality is always far away but I did research, weapons, flora and fauna of sandy countries and recipes including one for goat meat.

As Spike said in the Naafi Bar, people are often reluctant to talk and you might have to be prepared to bluff it a bit. Somebody like Michael Yon while an advert for wallking garbage, does sometimes let the odd fact slip and not that he's met Bruce Willis.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you but with a bit of 'seek and ye shall find' on the internet you'll be pleasantly surprised, what you can find out.

Of course as you're talking money, somebody who is/was on the ground there might offer to help. Good luck, you're going to need it.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's an ex-SBS chap who's written some good stuff on the Al-Qaeda attempted prison break in the 'stan'. You could read what other people have written about the place, scour the net and wotnot and then use your 'artistic licence' to do the rest. That's not to say you should plagiarise, but use it to get a feel for how you might go about describing the scenery and the people.
  6. Is the character bi-sexual then?
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Based on Geordie Blerk I believe... :twisted:
  8. And the resulting email from Harley Quinn:

And my reply:

Bang goes my chance of a Pulitzer Prize.
  9. Good response there, mistersoft. Spot on drills.

But an e-mail from "Harley Quinn"? Surely that moniker's a wind-up?

10. How dare you.

If you call sucking a man off whilst being finger recced by a female bi - sexual then you require help.

If the help required revolves around A to M, then PM me.
  11. I thought so as well Bugsy.

But even on April 1st and with a name like that, I couldn't let somebody say that Michael Yon was any good.