Writer with no combat experience

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Agamemnon1979, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright fellas. I'm a writer working on a novel in which one of the characters was in Afghanistan for months until the got his foot crushed in a car accident in Spring this year. His actual time there makes up a small part of the action, but if I write it with only what I know about the subject as the basis it'll just sound like a load of cobblers.

Anyone think they can help me out with this? If I sell a million I could even cut you in as a 'consultant' :D

Cheers for reading

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Welcome to ARRSE.
    You might be banging your head against a wall here. Most servicemen wont talk bout their 'time in combat' openly.My late Father was a RAF Pilot in WWII & he NEVER talked about his war experience.
    To most it's a private matter,The horrors they've saw,the mates they've lost.They'd rather keep it private & buried.
    PS,I've never been to The Stan so I'm afraid I cant help you.
    Oh,& Your in for some slaggin!

3. I did have an experience in my combats.

But just the once.

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Ohh..Nasty.
    Was sluggy there?

5. I suddenly felt alone.

Hence the experience.

6. It isn't the experiences I had in my own combats that worried me, it was the experience I had in a sister officer's that really freaked me out. It is very difficult to get dressed rapidly when almost (almost MDN!!) every item of clothing is identical, albeit slightly smaller. They having been removed at speed in pursuit of the beast with two backs!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I can give you loads of technical specs and information about the 'Stan'. If you wish to expound at great length, and perhaps provide more meat for the reader, I can also tell you about the 'Dave' and 'Pete' too, but don't ask me about the 'little boy' 'cos I might incriminate myself.

8. Hi feller snap! bin tryin to do the same for last two years, used knowledge gained in training and short mil.service coupled with a good imagination, most readers have no knowledge whatsoever about mil. life ,except what the McR**n brigade have written, go for it!

9. A1979.
    This is one of our highly regarded members who has a wealth of combat experience. You could learn a lot from Andy.

http://www.defenceinmind.co.uk/

If you need more info PM a certain MDN for his references.

10. And no doubt he will tell you his exploits on how he earned his GSM for valour

11. Aye, just make it up as you go along. That's what they say on the Creative Writing course at H anyhow... probably.

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Very, very few people actually have what could be termed by civvies as "combat" experience........active service is normally boring, tedious stressfull and dangerous ....with sometimes 10 minutes of really scary stuff thrown in.

An interview with Lawrence Durrel, who was a correspondant in WW2 struck a chord with me when he said that during battle everything always seemed to be happening somewhere else, in another field, behind that hill over there while you sat and waited for something to happen. Then people ask if you where there.....what do you say "Yes.....but not much seemed to be going on?"

13. "99% Boredom 1% Sheer Terror" according to one American Civil War soldier.

14. Another great work of fiction

15. Dont forget his exploits as a "Parachute pilot" :roll: