Writer Seeks Information on Early 90s Army Life

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ladywebslinger, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello - to whomever reads this

I'm a Brighton-based writer researching a new book, a fictional account of two Army chefs serving in Fallingbostel in the early 90's. The admin here on ARRSE have given me the go ahead to pose the following question:

I'm looking for any serving or ex-service personnel who'd be prepared to answer a few questions about day-to-day Army life during the early 90's. In particular I would love to hear from any Army chefs, anybody posted in Fallingbostel at this time and/ or those who made use of the nightlife in Hamburg, Bremen and Hannover. And I'm talking nightclubs and raves here - not the other kind of nightlife!

If you think you can help, please get in touch in the first instance via the private messaging service here or reply to this thread. There would be no cash reward unfortunately but you could have a moment of glory in the book's acknowledgements (or not, if you wanted anonymity).

Thanks

2. Not being or never have been a slop jockey, can I ask you , whats your angle? Why raves/nightlife? you after an expose' about squaddies off their heads on E in the 90's then cooking up sh1tty breakfasts.....? :?

3. Wasnt a chef and spent most of my time in Traz (Miami Vice, Broadways, Subways)or going over the border to Enschede (Jetsets, New Yorks, Bogarts), Ede and Arnhem. but the night life was really good and lasted all weekend.

Are you more interested with the pre-initiations era in the late 80's-early 90's or the post initiation time when we had to behave :wink:

4. Hey Yamwak

Thanks for the reply.

Not an expose - it's going to be a fictional account. But a true account, so yes, there would be tales of the prolific drug use that was going on in the army at the time. But the story is sympathetic to the characters and details how hard Army life can be (for some), not a critical take, saying 'look what a bunch of slackers.'

Hope that answers your question.

5. Hallo The Iron

Cheers for your reply.

Yes, I'm interested in pre (was it 1995?) when folk could get away with things more...

I would love to hear your stories, and ask you some questions about these weekend-long-nights-out as well as about army life at the time in general - the chef bits aren't so important (I can try and use my imagination for them!)

Would it be possible for me to email you with some questions? Or shall I just send a PM via this website? Everything taken in strictest confidence if necessary, natch!

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Errm what prolific drug use was that then? Do you know something that those of us who were there don't? There was no 'prolific drug use' going on in the Army I was in in the early 90's.

If thats your starting point for your 'story' might I suggest you go and do one as you won't get much help from people here with that opinion.

7. All I can say is that it wasnt as good as the eighties!
    I was in Hong Kong in the early 90's and the chefs at the hospital knocked out cracking food, all played football and were all smashed out of their tiny minds on alcohol almost every night, usually in one of the many tits out bars down in TST.
    Doesnt help yopu Germany 'angle' very much but maybe one of your charactors could go to HK for a spot of leave relief and come back with an interesting itch caught from one of the nurses at the BMH.

8. I was a chef in the same town as The_IRON from 86-92 and know all the same establishments.

9. Come on Ord, you must remember the nineties Army, or Hezza's Psychedelic Fighting Tail as we preferred to think of ourselves. Yes it was a bit of a shock to come down off that five year trip and discover that the red and green spotted elephants we had been floating around in where actually 432s. Or that the Adjutant only had one head? alarmingly the multi-coloured barrack dress sweaters of officers and SNCOs turned out to be real...

10. Where the hell was I when all this prolific drug taking was going on?
    I must have been off sick those days.
    The image of the army in a lot of public circles is bad enough without people making stuff up.

Your "story" from the outset has the scent of sensationalist tripe usually found festering with the gutter press.
    I don't think you want truth, I think you want something that sells, and you need some inside knowledge to pad out your "story".

If that's the case stroll on.

I would say fcuk off, but that's a bit rude.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I had a flat in Hannover between '93-'97. I knew the club scene, Rainbows etc and the rave scene (friend of mine used help organise the raves in the old Hannomag factory and other places).
    It is also fair to say I knew a lot about what was going on through a big social circle, many of whom were, or had been going out with squaddies. I even got arrested for "rescuing" a friend of a friend from a drug dealer, and later got the crap beaten out of me by his pals. I also shopped another dealer who was an ex-squaddie with enough evidence to bring him to court.
    All of which means I know what I am talking about when I say THERE WAS NO PROLIFIC DRUG USE BY SQUADDIES going on at that time. It happened for sure, but only with a tiny minority. Everyone else would rather get pished, trap a German bird or get in a fight (plus any combination of the 3).
    You are off line - not that facts will make much difference to what you write anyway I expect.....

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Could be - I recall the scoff in the singlies cookhouse was minging whenever I went there for a duty meal - maybe the slop jockeys were high on "E"s :?

13. Agreed. I was in Germany from 88-95 and never once saw 'prolific drug use'. Once CDT was introduced the bulk of soldiers getting caught were young lads who had always taken drugs for 'recreation' and saw no reason why it was 'wrong'.
    To suggest that vast quantities of the army in Germany were out of their trees
    on substances every weekend is simply tabloid gutter rubbish of the worst type.

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator