Wrist ligament injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kaye, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last January I was taking the lads on a run in the forest. All of us fell over a lot and we had a good laugh about all our bruises. I thought I had sprained my wrist, so I taped it up and thought nothing of it. Now it seems I have damaged some ligaments. Apart from problems with wanking and hitting the children I've got serious pain during the assault course; with rope climbing and carrying my weapon!
    I'm in training myself now and wonder how long this is going to take. Does anyone here have experience with damaged wrists and can you tell me how long it will take to heal?

I'm asking this because I've so far seen two doctors and one physiotherapist and they all said different things. Ranging from wearing a brace for a few weeks to surgery.

Any advice is welcome!

2. Where exactly does it hurt? And were you x-rayed following the original injury?

3. They might all say different things in terms of how to treat it, but are they all saying the same thing in terms of diagnosis? People often have different ways of tacking the same problem and it doesnt always mean someones wrong.

Also, assuming im reading it right and it happened 2 months ago (and not 14) and you havn't actually given it any time to heal then what do you expect? Out of curiousity, what was the reasoning for surgery from the person who suggested it - were they private health care?

4. Hi BB,

It hurts when I want to place my palm to lean on it or do anything that requires strength. What worries me most is that more things start to hurt now. Two weeks ago I only had pain when I did the assault course, was boxing or rope climbing. Now it hurts when pick up a small bag or when I'm driving my car!

After the original injury I wasn't X-rayed. I was an instructor in a remedial platoon at the time and our 'in-house' physiotherapist taped it up for me. I was X-rayed two weeks ago after I reported to the doctor at my current barracks. I also got an echo, but the nurses didn't see anything they could explain as the cause of my pain and the doctor won't see me until he had the results mailed to him... That's why I'm now asking around.

Thanks for your response and looking forward to your (and others' ) reply.

Kaye.

5. If the pain is towards the base of your thumb, in what's called the anatomical snuff box

[​IMG]

get it checked. A fracture across the waist of the scaphoid can disrupt the blood supply which causes the scaphoid to necrose. Ask your doc to send youfor scaphoid x-rays just to rule it out.

EDitted to add...scaphoid fractures often don't show up until callus starts to form around them.

6. I'm watching this thread for clues. Also in January, I did something silly (forward motion, straight arm, sudden stop) and found difficulty moving my arm behind my back. No real problems during day to day work, lifting/stretching and so on. Until a month ago when work involved lots of nothing physical beyond holding a clipboard and writing. Gradually, pain increased in my shoulder (and to a lesser extent in my elbow and wrist) when my upper arm was raised above horizontal or when I stretched outwards or downwards. Went to see doc and he diagnosed impacted or torn ligaments.

Doctor gave me an anaesthetic gel (Traxam), anti-inflammatory pills (Dicloflex) and instructed me to walk my fingers up the wall several times per day to increase the range of movement (he probably should have mentioned to walk my fingers back down 'cos it bloody hurts if you just take your hand off the wall!). He did say that it could be quite a while before everything goes back to normal (with the caveat that it may not).

His only other suggestion was that if the problem hadn't started to resolve itself in three weeks, I should go back to get a steroid injection into the joint. I lost count of the number of times that he said that it would be a painful injection, so I get the impression that it won't be like an immunisation. :(

I also picked up a TENS machine while I was at the chemist but, apart from causing me to spill my tea, it doesn't seem to have much effect.

So it seems that my GP is of the persuasion that repeated exercise and pain is the solution, just keep doing it until your body heals itself.

7. Hello BB,

The pain is more towards the pink side of my hand. Near my wrist (not surprisingly) on the top side of my hand.
    Can you tell me what that is?

Please note that whatever you say here, I will take it as general information and not as a subsistute it for seeing a doctor myself. You won't have to worry about lawsuits or anything!

8. No idea! But the poster ^^ up there who said you haven't rested it is probably right. ligs and tendons can take an age to settle after injury

9. I knackered my left wrist last year tripping over. :oops:

Put up with it for a couple of weeks and finally went to see a doctor (German net). They x-rayed it straight away which I thought was kind of neat; no need to go to hospital! Anyway, doc' looks at x-ray and informs me that it's not broken, thank fcuk for that says I - well, it's German equivelent. :D

He then grabs my wrist and presses with his thumb near the 'snuff box' that BB said about. I sort of hear him asking if it hurt, I am in a lot of pain and my answer was to his twisted satisfaction.

He then gives me an injection and says that should sort it. The pain that gave me was abut 10 times worse than the fcuking injury! Still have problems even now. :evil:

10. A little upate.

The doctor and the physiotherapist both say it can take anything between 6 and 12 weeks to heal. Wrist problems, as other ligament injuries have a tendency not to heal completely and to return easily. So I'm not in a good mood at all!

I was about to leave my training posting and return to my battalion, but when hearing of my limp wrist the RSM and adjudant made it pretty clear that they had no place for an injured SNCO. So that posting fell through. This little fall is starting to have some pretty BIG consequences!

11. The wrist is a complex joint providing an extraordinary degree of mobility for positioning the hand for function. It has developed through evolution from a weight-bearing forelimb joint similar to the ankle, through a joint primarily allowing suspension from tree branches with increased mobility, to its present role in allowing the hand to be positioned for prehensile function. During this sequence of changes the wrist joint has become vulnerable to injury when its old action of weight-bearing is called into play again, for example in a fall onto the hand. The wrist relies on ligaments to restrain the various bones in the joint from excessive movement relative to each other. If too much force is applied, ligaments can give way, leading to instability of the wrist, poor function and pain.
    The area of the wrist most often affected by ligament injury are the joints of the first row of bones beyond the wrist joint, called the proximal carpal row, and the particular joints affected are those between the scaphoid and lunate bones (scapholunate joint) and between the lunate and triquetral bones (lunotriquetral joint).
    http://www.arthroscopysurgeryindia.com/Articles.aspx?id=14