Wren Jane Beacon runs the Tideway by D J Lindsay

ARRSE Rating
4.00 star(s)
This is the third book in a series of Adventures set during the Second World War. It’s an action-packed adventure novel, set amongst the folk working boats and ships on the River Thames during the Blitz. Against that backdrop it continues the story of Wren Beacon, her struggles to get female boat crew accepted, and the trouble that comes her way when dealing with certain people in Authority.

To keep the spirit of adventure going, there is an espionage story in this book, as well as a continuation of the love affair which started in the previous one. There are some interesting observations on ‘social class’ standards of the time, including the behaviour of an older brother to wards his younger brother’s girlfriend which I found somewhat hair-raising, yet quite believable. Major events of the War are included, along with their effect on morale both personal and national, and the author does a good job of maintaining the atmosphere of 1940s England.

Jane's experience of running the female crew of a small boat running Naval Business on the Thames and her relationships with other river users, boatbuilders, etc. is an interesting if simplistic lesson in managing people, how administration comes with promotion, and the need to think quickly when events change ‘the plan’. The underlying message for human existence ‘Do as you would be done by’, comes through clearly but this is certainly not a ‘book of morals’.

Certain characters from the first and second books re-appear, but it is not necessary to have read either of them to enjoy and understand this one.

This book returns to the racy pace of the first one in the series, and is well written, easy to read, and leaves one wanting to know ‘what happens next?’.

Last edited:
Just got No. 1, Kindle free sample, to try.
Give it a go, thank you.
I will not be bombarded with sultry bodice rippers know, will I?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Just got No. 1, Kindle free sample, to try.
Give it a go, thank you.
I will not be bombarded with sultry bodice rippers know, will I?
You should be so lucky.

Enjoy the book though. It's a corker.

Latest Threads