Reference Image Wreckers, Recovery & Transporters

Can I have a go.......
Whats one worth?
Unfortunately whilst all there it is a bit the worse for wear and a non runner at present. We will have another (12DM76) up and running later in the year. As for value well that depends. The last one that sold went for about £12K I think.

Unfortunately whilst all there it is a bit the worse for wear and a non runner at present. We will have another (12DM76) up and running later in the year. As for value well that depends. The last one that sold went for about £12K I think.
Who buys the Antars, collector's or are they brought by reenactors??

I'd seriously consider one just for giggles. I would probably reconsider shortly after driving it home.....
Plus being over 10 ft wide you would have to give everyone 2 days notice to drive it on the road...

They are a lovely drive, supercharged straight 8 Rolld diesel, flat out at about 24 mph. There is not a single component on that truck that was not made in UK.

Who buys the Antars, collector's or are they brought by reenactors??
Good question.

I know a Lord (well Earl) who has one (John Atlee), a teacher who has one and of the two I have here one is owned by a retired QM and the other by a chap who runs a civil engineering company in Africa. So I guess the answer is anyone who fancies one. I think there about 30 in preservation. A chap I know has written a book about those that survive (yet to be published)

Plus being over 10 ft wide you would have to give everyone 2 days notice to drive it on the road...

They are a lovely drive, supercharged straight 8 Rolld diesel, flat out at about 24 mph. There is not a single component on that truck that was not made in UK.
What's the box in one of them?
I could imagine they would be perfect for abnormal load work in SA away from the EUs rules and regs

What's the box in one of them?
I could imagine they would be perfect for abnormal load work in SA away from the EUs rules and regs
They have two boxes, 4 speed main and 3 speed auxilliary. In the earlier petrols that was a twin stick set up but the later diesel mk3s had an interconnection set up that gave 6 speeds of a single lever.

Some were used for heavy haulage - Elliots of York had one. But by the time they finished in army service (late 1980s) there were lots of other options about such as Merc Titans and Scammell S24s

Leyland Martian Artillery tractor for sale on Milweb £5k of the queens finest. Needs a bit more than a wipe with an oily rag, but a good project for someone.

I never worked with BARV's but I understand that they didn't have winches and relied on tractive effort. (That's why their tracks were on back to front.)

I also believe that their tractive effort maximum (it's all down to the fixing points of cables and bars)
was a mighty 40t. So three of them working in deep mud could theoretically pull a massive 120t.

Stow the metal detector!

Edited to add. Two BARVS were sent down south and got involved in recovery operations during the Falklands bash in '82. Although one broke down fairly early on.
I've seen a Sherman BARV strutting its stuff on a beach, and it was an awesome machine. Might have some vid of it somewhere.

Some were used for heavy haulage - Elliots of York had one. But by the time they finished in army service (late 1980s) there were lots of other options about such as Merc Titans and Scammell S24s
I remember seeing photos of Elliott one. When I worked for MDF we had a Merc Titan on wind turbines pulling 90ton base tower sections.

Good question.

I know a Lord (well Earl) who has one (John Atlee), a teacher who has one and of the two I have here one is owned by a retired QM and the other by a chap who runs a civil engineering company in Africa. So I guess the answer is anyone who fancies one. I think there about 30 in preservation. A chap I know has written a book about those that survive (yet to be published)
A demolition company about 5 miles from me has one. They also have a Cent BARV.

I remember seeing photos of Elliott one. When I worked for MDF we had a Merc Titan on wind turbines pulling 90ton base tower sections.
Ha! An Antar will pull 100 tons on tickover. I did like the Titans though.

One of the ones here is a "ballast" - A Mk3a. Without adding any kind of payload it weighs in at just shy of 40 tons (on 3 axles). We used them for recovery, towing fully laden transporters ("trains" ) which themselves were over 100 tons up hill and down dale. On a hot day pulling away with a train on the back they could wrinkle up the road surface like a bit of old carpet if the driver was a bit fierce.

Leyland Martian Artillery tractor for sale on Milweb £5k of the queens finest. Needs a bit more than a wipe with an oily rag, but a good project for someone.
A gentlemans lorry. Synchro gearbox and power steering. Took my test in the GS version one Friday in downton Hull.