Wrecker pics from TELIC ?

Discussion in 'REME' started by Goatman, Oct 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I googled for some stirring desert action images of the trusty Foden Recovery GS 6 X 6 Medium ( aka 'wrecker' ) but the Army site only has some naff posy shots.

If anyone knows of any decent pics of the wrecker at work in Iraq they can point me at I'd be grateful.

( If, for example you were involved in recovering that wheeled tanker that, ahem, left the road / fell over between Kuwait City and Umm Qasr by chance? Did you have your camera handy ?)

Cheers all,

Le Chevre
  2. What the hell do you want photo's of that piece of crap for?

Preparing for incoming!
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Work....but nobody will get either interview without coffee or a chuck up on their ACR for posting !

The only time I had to do with this beast it seemed to work okay (got my spare inflated anyway !)

I understand that the replacement is a variant of the MAN truck.....

( where's that nice anorak.....)
  4. If this is still a valid thread, let me know - I've got a nice sequence of a Foden recovering a huey cobra onto a tasker trailer.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I have a load from Telic 2 - if I get the chance I will upload them to Photobucket, and thence to here.
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks all - nice pic of the Whisky Cobra being towed home....what was the story Easy ?

Le Chevre
  7. Apologies in advance im a truck nut anyway, and i work for the biggest FODEN dealer in the North East, so if any one has pics of the Foden 4000 multidrive tanker or 6X6 wrecka id be very grateful
  8. Not to sure on the true story, but i heard it was shot down and the Recy Mech went to get it.

All i know is that 2 Bn were recovering it from the Basrah area as that was where we were when the convoy passed us.

I am sure somebody that was on Telic 1 with 2 Bn Recy Sect can shed some more light on the true story
  9. Apparently it had a mechanical failure in contact. The spams could not recover it so the WORM tasked the Bn withthe job.

Look on the TELIC section of the gallery for at least one picture of a foden in action towing an aircraft from the runway at Basra airport. Lots more where that came from.
  10. The cobra helicopter was actually shot down by triple AAA fire and forced to land just outside Basra on the main MSR. The job was completed by a Rec Mech from 1 Bn REME and several TA Rec Mechs who were attached to 2 Bn REME at the time.

The total weight of the helicopter was around 7 Tonne, including fuel, as explained as an estimate by the pilot at the time. The shackle used to lift this beast onto the Tasker trailer was from a CRARRV CES, that is to say the smallest shackle on the CES. It was way passed its sell buy date after the task was completed. One would not have got away with that at Bordon
  11. if your on about the Seddon tanker on its side near the border on Telic 1, i did the job and have a few photos on disc taken by the DRO at the time. your free to have a copy :D
  12. I can get hold of some pics of us shifting the old sea-plane that was on a yank flat-rack in the middle of SLB onto a flat-bed and moving it into the loggie camp across the road................

............ Ah no, you wanted stirring and sandy - that was just a load of old posey bawlicks!
  13. Your right and its massive! just a "bit" bigger than the Foden!