Wrapping BBQ Ribs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by MiracleBill, Jul 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I take my ribs seriously. Normally boiling them in a flavoured broth the cooking them under a low heat and basting (home made baste then a sweet BBQ sauce towards the end) them every 10 minutes for the next couple of hours.

After watching BBQ Pitmasters, I thought I'd try cooking them for an hour then wrapping them tightly in foil for a further hour.

This greatly reduced the amount of pissing about and the result was better than my usual effort.

Anyone got any 'top BBQ tips' to share?

2. for amazing sweetcorn, when you wrap the cobs in tinfoil add a wee drop of full fat coke as it will caremelise and be delicious.

3. I rub mine with American mustard and sprinkle a dry rub on and leave overnight in a zip lock bag, then cook for 3-4 hrs at 130 degrees in a roasting tin wrapped in foil to seal it in, I also put a ramekin of water or apple juice in to keep them moist , then put sauce on and barbecue them to make the sauce nice and sticky- just 10 mins a side is plenty to set the sauce

4. Liquid Smoke/Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke. Smear it on your ribs, but it's really strong stuff. Tin foil and slow roasting over wood chips littered with chopped citrus fruits, is for winners. I've seen pans of water on the wood for moisture.

5. I'd seriously recommend these:

Tesco Rack Of Ribs 500G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Currently it's 2 packs for £5. Bargain. Easy to cook too! Microwave them in the packet for 5 mins, then finish on the BBQ. Job done, and they taste lovely.

Better than some of the homemade ribs I've tasted, without any fuss. Nom nom nom nom. Sainsburys do some too, but you have to cook them in the oven for 20 mins, not microwave.

Gen up - try them!

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks for the tips. One problem we've always had with ribs cooked here is that they aren't anything like those completely deconstructed, moist and sticky "fall off the bone" ones we eat in the USA.

PrinceAlbert - your recommendation noted, but I don't see how that cooking method gives the same result as the other suggestions. Willing to try, although lacking either a Tesco or Sainsbury's here makes it a bit tricky. Have to be Waitrose or M&S, I guess … our CI Co-Op isn't brilliant for meat.

7. If you can get them, try them. I was amazed at the result. They literally fall off the bone, and taste spot on. For the price, you really can't go wrong.

8. No meat on these things, get them from a butcher.

9. There's plenty.

10. Featured Products
    The char siu sauce is good, you can pre-cook the ribs in a pan of simmering water, when cooled add few tablespoons of the sauce, and some water, mix them around in a freezer bag, leave to marinade and cook. Experiment with some of the other sauces. Garlic and black bean sauce is good as is oyster sauce.

11. I reckon you'll find more meat on some from a butcher, they are also very cheap normally to buy and sometimes cheaper in winter - freeze them.

12. I don't disagree. But 2 packs for £5, and absolutely **** all effort required, it's a winner :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Are you in the us? I find the skinny little ribs we get in the uk and Australia don't take to cooking more than 3 or so hrs, I have seen those monster racks in the us though with much more meat on to slow cook, nom nom

14. Try the pit masters potato bombs on YouTube, they rock

15. try using beef for rib really meaty and if you roast em low and slow it really does fall off the bpne