Wpn cleaning - a manufacturers view

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by stoatman, Nov 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good summary, including a good SA-80 slagging:

http://www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote62.htm

2. Beleive the SA 80 is now more reliable then the M16 and it derivitives.
    The advice makes one wonder just how US troops are taught to clean small arms.
    john

3. I know its says not to experiment with other lubes but you cant tell me not to push the big red button. Just finishing my 3rd tour in a desert environment. My trusty M16 has yet to let me down.

<cough> TW 25B (from mil.com) Lubricant protection. NSN 9150-01-448-2298 <cough>

M16 fired every occasion I needed it to. Very low build up of sand in the reciever. Sprays on wet, dries instantly and stays lubed for days. Umm...well thats what a very close friend of mine told me.

TW 25 B has been used on Navy Phalanx CIWS and on the Apache 30mm gun.

TW 25 B is a non toxic, non flammable synthetic grease that is easy to spply. Thrives in heavy load bearing and extreme pressure conditions. -90 degrees to +450 degrees F. And for any tree hugging libbies out there it is environmentally safe.

Just my two cents...flame away.

4. I'm told the SPAMS are issued a liquid that's really good at removing carbon from gas parts.

Does anyone have details of it.

Clearly, I would never "experiment" with this on a weapon I was issued.

5. Yes,I liked the SLR,a schoolfriend of mine though, lost his eye,the rats tail and block flew out of the back;probably not locked properly.I wouldn´t like to fire this guys FAL in this condition.If he soaked the thing in vinegar,he might just get to save it,and his eye!

midnight

6. All a bit strange!

7. In an few months,I think we can look at a link called,Hey,look no hands,no feel,no eyes!cnts 8O

midnight

8. I wouldn´t use anything that is corosive,if it´s on your fingers,it tends to get in your eyes.After ranges,on tanks,we put the gas plugs etc.in vinegar,it really softened the carbon.And you can put it on your chips,at least it´s non-poisonous!

Midnight 8)

9. Almost any commercial gun cleaning solvent is better at removing carbon from gas parts than the light weapons oil that the Brits are issued. I used to have one of the old cigarette tins (the small tubular ones that held seven cigarettes). I would half fill it with 009, put the gas plug and gas cylinder in it, put the lid on, shake, and then clean the rest of the weapon. Once I had done that, the carbon comes right off with minimal use of the various reaming tools on the multitool. Indeed, much of the fouling from the inside of the gas plug comes off with the judicious application of a cotton bud.

What the Spams are issued is called Breakfree CLP and is really excellent stuff. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find any over here, so I tend to use Ballistol or Rem-Oil (in a can) for cleaning, and Rem-oil (the thicker stuff in a bottle) or Ballistol Klever for lubrication.

10. I keep forgetting that you're in Clogland. Anyway, for those wanting to try CLP (on their own firearms, obviously), you can pick it up at Bisley from the NSRA shop. In spraycans, even!

...The NSRA is that big building with the long concrete wall on the left as you drive on to camp. Front door is on the opposite side to the camp gate, just follow the (very small) signs...

11. Thanks, I'l give that a try, (ahem, on my privately owned rifle....)

12. Look at the reason for the case failures - the vast majority have come from hand loaders, using cast lead bullets. ANY firearm that does not fully support the case will have problems with overpressure if the bbl is lead fouled, or the propellant charge exceeds a certain point.

IMO, most problems with firearms reliability are down to the manufacturers failing to thoroughly test their prototype weapon in "real world" conditions.
    The L85A1 was a lovely piece of minimalist engineering which failed to make the grade once mass production tolerances & the rough & tumble of operational use were added into the equation.
    Military firearms shouldn't NEED to be cleaned at every possible opportunity, as this demands too much from soldiers often who have more pressing demands to deal with.

I would rather have a rifle that is reliable, than one that weighs a couple of pounds less but needs TLC three or four times a firefight.