WOW - I never knew it was so expensive....................

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by theloggie, Nov 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going through a spreadsheet I was gobsmacked that something I thought was so simple was so expensive:

DEPTH CHARGE MK11 MODEL 3 (HE) DofQ EA Ex VAT £383,XXX.XX incl VAT £450,XXX.XX

What else has surprised by costing significanly more than you thought possible?

Apart from nights on the lash, breast operations, weddings, funerals and cars that is - I know what you lot are like!

edited coz of bad spooling
  2. BOWMAN. Nuff said i think?
  3. I'm surprised that it is liable to VAT. I would have thought that these are not exactly luxury items.
  4. [yorkshireman mode] Depth Charges? Looooxury. When I were a lad, we 'ad to make do with a couple of grenades stuffed down the trousers of the nearest frogman. [/yorkshireman mode]
  5. Maybe classed a service. :D :D
  6. Petrol a couple of months ago?
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That's more expensive than a Seawolf missile and its got all sorts of clever stuff in it. Sounds like someone is paying well over the odds for these things. You should investigate to find out who's taking bribes to diddle the taxpayer out of large sums of money.

Then make sure you get your cut.
  8. Slightly off thread but is there an examples of kit or equipment that is cheaper to purchase through the mil?

For example compasses?
  9. They're paying way over the odds.

On a slightly more serious note, do UK forces have anything that uses Depth Charges per se? I thought it was all torpedo-alike stuff these days. Opsec permitting.

Edited to add. I should have googled, are they Merkin hence the price?
  10. devilish - most things will be more expensive if bought through the stores... they have to use "full costing" amount which adds in a cost for storage & handling. Usually cheaper to buy from surplus or original suppliers.

That seems a bit steep for a Mk11 - it's not that bright a weapn system...

.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

What as in you tie them to a Para's boot laces and kick him out the door? :)
  12. ... not aware of that particular mode of delivery, but yes - fits with the overall weapon intelligence profile.. :D
  13. I would have thought pretty general knowledge that paraffin pigeons hurl these out of the air in, generally a downwards direction towards something liquid and salty containing an undesirable.

There is of course the YeHaaa Bucket of Sunshine version, though I cannot confirm or deny whether these are still in service, a bit like me really..

Fcuking out of it
  14. Would that make it a "dumb" bomb?

15. attach it to a para officer with a map and it counts as unguided.