• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

WOW - I never knew it was so expensive....................

#1
Going through a spreadsheet I was gobsmacked that something I thought was so simple was so expensive:

DEPTH CHARGE MK11 MODEL 3 (HE) DofQ EA Ex VAT £383,XXX.XX incl VAT £450,XXX.XX

What else has surprised by costing significanly more than you thought possible?

Apart from nights on the lash, breast operations, weddings, funerals and cars that is - I know what you lot are like!

edited coz of bad spooling
 
#4
[yorkshireman mode] Depth Charges? Looooxury. When I were a lad, we 'ad to make do with a couple of grenades stuffed down the trousers of the nearest frogman. [/yorkshireman mode]
 
#6
Petrol a couple of months ago?
 

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
That's more expensive than a Seawolf missile and its got all sorts of clever stuff in it. Sounds like someone is paying well over the odds for these things. You should investigate to find out who's taking bribes to diddle the taxpayer out of large sums of money.



Then make sure you get your cut.
 
#8
Slightly off thread but is there an examples of kit or equipment that is cheaper to purchase through the mil?


For example compasses?
 
#9
theloggie said:
Going through a spreadsheet I was gobsmacked that something I thought was so simple was so expensive:

DEPTH CHARGE MK11 MODEL 3 (HE) DofQ EA Ex VAT £383,XXX.XX incl VAT £450,XXX.XX
They're paying way over the odds.

Linky

On a slightly more serious note, do UK forces have anything that uses Depth Charges per se? I thought it was all torpedo-alike stuff these days. Opsec permitting.

Edited to add. I should have googled, are they Merkin hence the price?
 
#10
devilish - most things will be more expensive if bought through the stores... they have to use "full costing" amount which adds in a cost for storage & handling. Usually cheaper to buy from surplus or original suppliers.

That seems a bit steep for a Mk11 - it's not that bright a weapn system...

.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)
 
#11
HE117 said:
devilish - most things will be more expensive if bought through the stores... they have to use "full costing" amount which adds in a cost for storage & handling. Usually cheaper to buy from surplus or original suppliers.

That seems a bit steep for a Mk11 - it's not that bright a weapn system...

.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)

What as in you tie them to a Para's boot laces and kick him out the door? :)
 
#12
BiscuitsAB said:
HE117 said:
devilish - most things will be more expensive if bought through the stores... they have to use "full costing" amount which adds in a cost for storage & handling. Usually cheaper to buy from surplus or original suppliers.

That seems a bit steep for a Mk11 - it's not that bright a weapn system...

.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)

What as in you tie them to a Para's boot laces and kick him out the door? :)
... not aware of that particular mode of delivery, but yes - fits with the overall weapon intelligence profile.. :D
 
#13
I would have thought pretty general knowledge that paraffin pigeons hurl these out of the air in, generally a downwards direction towards something liquid and salty containing an undesirable.

There is of course the YeHaaa Bucket of Sunshine version, though I cannot confirm or deny whether these are still in service, a bit like me really..

Fcuking out of it
 
#14
BiscuitsAB said:
HE117 said:
devilish - most things will be more expensive if bought through the stores... they have to use "full costing" amount which adds in a cost for storage & handling. Usually cheaper to buy from surplus or original suppliers.

That seems a bit steep for a Mk11 - it's not that bright a weapn system...

.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)

What as in you tie them to a Para's boot laces and kick him out the door? :)
Would that make it a "dumb" bomb?

P-T
 
#15
BiscuitsAB said:
What as in you tie them to a Para's boot laces and kick him out the door? :)
attach it to a para officer with a map and it counts as unguided.
 
#16
HE117 said:
.. and yes we still do use them ( hint - air dropped..!)
Yes, I understand the airdropped thing, hence my question and opsec rider. While they are no doubt available(if needed) for, I assume, shallow water use, I just presumed(I know) that generally, something a little smarter was the thing and therefore standard.(1)

My general understanding being that the Dolphin wearers are much happier if they have a depth of water that enables them to use their 'performance' at depths that allow use of thermoclines etc., consequently making Torps-alike the weapon of choice. I may of course be talking total bollox, I often do. If so I apologise in advance.
 
#17
I would think that the sophistication of the weapon system is roughly in line with the age profile of the airframe that (allegedly) carries it...

I am sure the fishheads and bubblers have more sophisticated toys to attack the targets in question...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Bravo Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 2
Yokel The NAAFI Bar 26
CaptainRidiculous Tanks, planes & ships 59

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top