Wounded officer speaks on behalf of injured troops

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Sep 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Col David Richmond had his leg shattered by a Taliban bullet 2 years ago. During his return to fitness he joined the committee supporting a thorough review of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

Read more here

2. Doesn't actually speak well for the MoD does it? Or for MoD "message management".

From the reports, it seems as if it took a Lt Col being injured to reform a damaged system. I know that's not the way it actually happened - I believe the media fuss around Lance Bombardier Parkinson was the proximate cause of the review - but that's not the way it comes across.

3. It is disconcerting when I read of such issues, whether in the UK or in America. The reality is amd must be that the duty to the injured is not different from that owed by the services to every person in uniform. In my world the trait of loyalty goes BOTH ways in the chain of command.

4. JJH: hLoyalty goes down as well as up? Well I never.

The Army is like a tree full of monkeys. The monkey at the top looks down and sees nothing but smiling faces. The monkeys below look up and see nothing but arrseholes.

Trite I know but sadly true. It has always been the case but was never worse than under Gen Mike Jackson. Jock Stirrup was another wánker who expected unquestioning loyalty from all ranks while he kissed the political arrses above him. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

If the MoD (who are predominantly Military officers and normally have the final say) think they can get away with shafting the lads then they will: they are all under the delusion that the money they spend is their own, and that if they manage to spend only half their budget then they will be the happy recipient of an OBE (other bugger's effort) to go with their MBE (my bloody effort).

5. I do hope it is not as bleak as you suggest. We have a similar phenomenon here in that many officers who should and appear to know better when in operational billets., undergo a perverse metamorphosis when they are posted to the Pentagon ("inside the beltway syndrome")

6. msr

msr LE

The British Army is positively schizophrenic in its attitude to ops and non-operational posts.