Wound Stripes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cpunk, Aug 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Thinking about the numbers who are being wounded in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, should we consider returning to the old system of wound stripes or, indeed, issuing a medal equivalent to the US Purple Heart to acknowledge those who have been injured in the service of the counrty? Thoughts?
  2. I'm all for it. Guys are getting bits pulled out of them and going back on stag.

As long as it didn't slide into a who deserves one argument I'm all for it

Hopefully it wouldn't clash with the idea of some form of "Combat" badge as discussed in other thread

The question is with so many guys out there sporting injuries and scars how would they back date it and how long would it take to produce in enough numbers. Probably get one by 2025

edited...hopefully the remf pointy end arguments won't come into it
  3. Government would probably say that a trip to the local medico is not enough, only repatriation qualifies.

Can you imagine their discomfort if a Guard of Honour crops up with virtually every man having a wound stripe ?.

Can one of the PR boys who is organising the doughnut session on our wonderful PM's next visit arrange for everyone present to be among those wounded since he took power ?. Not a difficult task methinks.
  4. I'd have thought the PR boys main aim would be to keep the wounded away from the PM

The difference between a "flesh wound" and a repatriation is purely luck and local geography

The blokes who sit quietly, bleeding, in pain, insisting their oppos get "sorted out first" while the RAP/BLM/IRT work on the more seriously injured in my book deserve some sort of recognition
  5. This has been discussed iin the Forums but can't find where, however there were as I expect will be here both sides of the argument.

But as whiffer mentions the ammount of injured in theatre at the moment, it could start to look embarrassesing at ceremonial events.

There was also the mention of what would justify a wound, slice your finger on paper in the Ops room, or falling over and braking a limb while taking cover from En action or a wound from direct En Action.

But do we really want to go down the septics route ?????
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Surely a wound stripe is not a political decision but something for the CoC and HM. I suspect it just fell out of use rather than was withdrawn so just re-enstate it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea. A way to show your sacrifices when amongst your peers in uniform. Not sure what the previous criteria were but probably little reason to change it much I would imagine. As for backdating - Jan 1st 2000 seems a simple and easy date to me.
  7. What would be the criterion for the award though. Becoming a casualty in a war zone (including RTA casualties)? Becoming a casualty through enemy action (excluding casualties from soviet minefields)? Or take the view that anyone becoming a casualty receives the award?

I'm in two minds about this and remain to be convinced.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

How about "when it can be clearly established that the wound was a direct result of overt hostile action and requires qualified medical attention i.e. a visit to the RAP" as qualifying criteria. RTAs are injuries not woulnds so shouldn't count. It doesn't have to be difficult.
  9. Wouldn't that preclude Blue on Blue and the soviet minefields arguement. I harp on about the latter since it is a source of quite a few casualties at the moment.

Not having a dig, just need convincing.
  10. How about just allowing the guys to make their bits of shrapnel into necklaces and wear it on parades?
    No? Yeah ok, probably a bad idea. Apologies
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Blue on Blue is a good one, whats the precedent in the past? Does anybody know? Minefield injuries, sewn by whomever should be included I think.

Just my thoughts as I'm all for giving as much recognition to the boys and girls who suffer.
  12. Anything that costs money gives the Treasury an opportunity to influence things.

Hopefully, CoC can demonstrate some spheroids on this issue. However, HMG response could be that everyone wears C95 24/7.
  13. The MOD wouldn't let this happen - especially if it was backdated - because it would make the wounded countable which is NOT allowed.
  14. Irrelevant imho Sven. If it goes bang, hurts you and you're on op's it counts. Simple.
  15. Sorry I can't remember names but the young trooper that was injured pulling his mates from a burning wagon during an A10 attack, in the war fightng phase in Iraq I think, was given the George Cross and not the VC as it was not done under enemy action.

The precedent has been set. As for Soviet mine fields, w arn't at war with the Sov's so unless it has been freshly planted with old mines then I guess the same applies.