Wound Stripes

cpunk

LE
Thinking about the numbers who are being wounded in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, should we consider returning to the old system of wound stripes or, indeed, issuing a medal equivalent to the US Purple Heart to acknowledge those who have been injured in the service of the counrty? Thoughts?

I'm all for it. Guys are getting bits pulled out of them and going back on stag.

As long as it didn't slide into a who deserves one argument I'm all for it

Hopefully it wouldn't clash with the idea of some form of "Combat" badge as discussed in other thread

The question is with so many guys out there sporting injuries and scars how would they back date it and how long would it take to produce in enough numbers. Probably get one by 2025

edited...hopefully the remf pointy end arguments won't come into it

Government would probably say that a trip to the local medico is not enough, only repatriation qualifies.

Can you imagine their discomfort if a Guard of Honour crops up with virtually every man having a wound stripe ?.

Can one of the PR boys who is organising the doughnut session on our wonderful PM's next visit arrange for everyone present to be among those wounded since he took power ?. Not a difficult task methinks.

I'd have thought the PR boys main aim would be to keep the wounded away from the PM

The difference between a "flesh wound" and a repatriation is purely luck and local geography

The blokes who sit quietly, bleeding, in pain, insisting their oppos get "sorted out first" while the RAP/BLM/IRT work on the more seriously injured in my book deserve some sort of recognition

This has been discussed iin the Forums but can't find where, however there were as I expect will be here both sides of the argument.

But as whiffer mentions the ammount of injured in theatre at the moment, it could start to look embarrassesing at ceremonial events.

There was also the mention of what would justify a wound, slice your finger on paper in the Ops room, or falling over and braking a limb while taking cover from En action or a wound from direct En Action.

But do we really want to go down the septics route ?????

Surely a wound stripe is not a political decision but something for the CoC and HM. I suspect it just fell out of use rather than was withdrawn so just re-enstate it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea. A way to show your sacrifices when amongst your peers in uniform. Not sure what the previous criteria were but probably little reason to change it much I would imagine. As for backdating - Jan 1st 2000 seems a simple and easy date to me.

What would be the criterion for the award though. Becoming a casualty in a war zone (including RTA casualties)? Becoming a casualty through enemy action (excluding casualties from soviet minefields)? Or take the view that anyone becoming a casualty receives the award?

I'm in two minds about this and remain to be convinced.

How about "when it can be clearly established that the wound was a direct result of overt hostile action and requires qualified medical attention i.e. a visit to the RAP" as qualifying criteria. RTAs are injuries not woulnds so shouldn't count. It doesn't have to be difficult.

Wouldn't that preclude Blue on Blue and the soviet minefields arguement. I harp on about the latter since it is a source of quite a few casualties at the moment.

Not having a dig, just need convincing.

How about just allowing the guys to make their bits of shrapnel into necklaces and wear it on parades?
No? Yeah ok, probably a bad idea. Apologies

Sven said:
Wouldn't that preclude Blue on Blue and the soviet minefields arguement. I harp on about the latter since it is a source of quite a few casualties at the moment.

Blue on Blue is a good one, whats the precedent in the past? Does anybody know? Minefield injuries, sewn by whomever should be included I think.

Just my thoughts as I'm all for giving as much recognition to the boys and girls who suffer.

Ord_Sgt said:
Surely a wound stripe is not a political decision but something for the CoC and HM. I suspect it just fell out of use rather than was withdrawn so just re-enstate it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea. A way to show your sacrifices when amongst your peers in uniform. Not sure what the previous criteria were but probably little reason to change it much I would imagine. As for backdating - Jan 1st 2000 seems a simple and easy date to me.
Anything that costs money gives the Treasury an opportunity to influence things.

Hopefully, CoC can demonstrate some spheroids on this issue. However, HMG response could be that everyone wears C95 24/7.

Sven said:

Irrelevant imho Sven. If it goes bang, hurts you and you're on op's it counts. Simple.

Ord_Sgt said:
Sven said:

Blue on Blue is a good one, whats the precedent in the past? Does anybody know? Minefield injuries, sewn by whomever should be included I think.

Just my thoughts as I'm all for giving as much recognition to the boys and girls who suffer.
Sorry I can't remember names but the young trooper that was injured pulling his mates from a burning wagon during an A10 attack, in the war fightng phase in Iraq I think, was given the George Cross and not the VC as it was not done under enemy action.

The precedent has been set. As for Soviet mine fields, w arn't at war with the Sov's so unless it has been freshly planted with old mines then I guess the same applies.

I'm all for the idea, and I think the American policy isn't a bad one to follow.

However, if we issue a British Purple Heart, then the press will have a documentary trail to follow of the numbers issued, when they were issued etc. All sorts of statistics can then follow.

That means the Government can be held to account - and this Government, like it's predecessors of whatever colour, don't like to be held to account.

How about a purple heart type medal but with the ribbon of the nation that caused the injury! Should prove interesting at multi national functions.

But seriously I think it would have to be for injuries sustained by acts of war, regardless of nations involved. I was medivaced in 2003 with a non combat related condition and I would be completely embarrassed if awarded a medal for that.

Flying felix, sounds good to me the ribbon from the country that caused the injury/wound. Im not sure how the US would react or our friends in Iran (supporting insurgents in Iraq).

Stilts

I think, although I'm not certain, that wound stripes fell into disuse either during or post-WW1, as there were so many soldiers who were wounded, often more than once (an example being CSM John Skinner VC whose 9th wound was the one than finally killed him). I think that there was the concern that shorter soldiers sleeves would not be long enough to carry all of their wound stripes :D

I don't think that we should go down the purple heart route either. What about an attachment to the ribbon of the Op Medal where the injuy was sustained, in much the same way as an oakleaf for an MID.

Qualification is a difficult one. RTCs, stubbing your toe etc - No. Wounds sustained in action, whether blue on blue or not - Yes. I have heard rumours of purple hearts being awarded to soldiers who have injured themselves performing day to day tasks, but because they were in a 'war zone' have been eligible for the award.

If one looks at the case of Trooper Finney. He was awarded a George Cross for his actions under fire. Had the attack been made by Iraqi, rather than US forces, I would imagine he'd have been awarded a VC. Perhaps a different colour award for enemy action as opposed to friendly fire.

However, as so many have said, I think that the politicians would rather stand up in parliament and admit they are only in it for themselves than have an apparently quantifiable number of injuries sustained by British Forces on Ops being available for scrutiny.

Boxhead style wound badge maybe? Better than copying the spams and takes up less space than a set of wound stripes.