Wouldnt happen with skids

Ground crew or traffic control not done its checks then? If you land on grass, like to think tower would tell you where the trouble spots are. Another case of show organisers not considering all aspects of safety.

C

cloudbuster

I'm still wondering if the oleo bottomed-out before the nose struck the ground. Under the circumstances, cutting the display and getting it checked out might have been prudent, given the chances of debris stuck in the nosewheel bay on retraction.

Interview-without-coffee for sure.

Bet the Loady enjoyed that one 8O

The Captain of that Merlin needs to be sat down and the facts of life explained to him, definately without coffee!!! How the hell can he justify lifting off again after having just stuffed the nose wheel into the dirt. He could not possibly be aware of any damage done......what an idiot! 8O

The display was totally boring as well. :?

C

cloudbuster

Persian_kitten said:
Ground crew or traffic control not done its checks then? If you land on grass, like to think tower would tell you where the trouble spots are. Another case of show organisers not considering all aspects of safety.
I think, from the evidence (model aircraft, url, and some words in the commentary ie "15th full-sized aircraft to land here") that the strip in question is used primarily for model aircraft. Which could lead us into Pilot-walt territory.

So, Persian Kitten, if it isn't a licensed areodrome (CAA definition) it must be a field landing. Therefore, the responsibility for ensuring that the ground is safe to alight upon remains with the Aircraft Captain.

Poor show, passing the buck like that, as well as completely missing the point about continuing with the display with unknown airframe damage.

Persian_kitten said:
cloudbuster said:
So, Persian Kitten, if it isn't a licensed areodrome (CAA definition) it must be a field landing. True
cloudbuster said:
Therefore, the responsibility for ensuring that the ground is safe to alight upon remains with the Aircraft Captain. True, however after sinking the nose wheel into the ground, should he have continued to land the second time? The commentator at that time, said "he is obvioulsy not used to our soft ground" which would indicate that the Captain did not know the ground situation.
cloudbuster said:
Poor show, passing the buck like that, as well as completely missing the point about continuing with the display with unknown airframe damage. Poor show - too true! As the pilot had clocked up such display experience, one would like to think his judgement would be better. When I said tower and ground crew, I meant it as a general comment of raising the point, who exactly was responsible for control of safety. I would like to think that someone on the ground who was controlling events, was in communication with the captain and, had advised him of the condition of the landing site (not that I am implying this comes under CAA regs).
I deliberately didn't make a point of the potential damage incurred or the Captain's decision to continue the display without a damage check. It was self evident as far as I could see.

C

cloudbuster

Putting some distance between himself and the clown in the front.

3 or 4 km should do it.

Wonder if he went back for the Board of Inquiry?

The guy on the quad thingy was on his way to restock the onboard pie supply.........well it is an RAF SH after all. :lol: Its still hard to believe that an A2 QHI did something as basically stupid as to take off again without a visual inspection of the nose wheel assembly....DOH!!

I have it on good authority that it was almost certainly the squadron boss on the controls, not the display pilot named in the commentary. The same good authority is also gobsmacked that they continued the display without inspecting the nosewheel for damage.

Being RAF SH myself and know who the crew were flying the display, the crewman actually leaned out of the other door and checked the nose wheel and there was no damage apparent. The merlin is a naval aircraft which is used to heavy landings, however retracting the gear does seem a bit stupid.

Anyway that is my two pennies worth

heights_good said:
Being RAF SH myself and know who the crew were flying the display, the crewman actually leaned out of the other door and checked the nose wheel and there was no damage apparent. The merlin is a naval aircraft which is used to heavy landings, however retracting the gear does seem a bit stupid.

Anyway that is my two pennies worth
Being RAF SH yourself, you should know that the Mk1 and Mk3 do not share identical undercarriage.

The feckers never used to like getting the wheels dirty when we were dropped off by the crabs. We always had to jump. Now I know why! :oops:

"Being RAF SH yourself, you should know that the Mk1 and Mk3 do not share identical undercarriage."

Im A Puma man not Merlin so ill stand corrected and bow too your greatness :wink:

Heights good