Would you vote for Colonel 'Bonking' Bob Stewart ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by agoodgrouping, Sep 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. R4 BH interview with Bonking Col Bob Stewart telling the world that he was asked to run as ‘stalking horse’ leadership challenger against Cameron in Jun. Says he refused to do so because ‘it would be silly and he is loyal to Cameron’ Duh – if he was ‘loyal’ then why on earth bring the matter to anyone’s attention. ? Even the most disgruntled Tories wouldn’t vote for that blustering, feeble minded, egocentric, self-publicist who has dined out for years a ’the Commander of British Forces in Kosovo’ (so was LCpl Snooks !)

Mind you...I would vote for him before Jeremy Hunt !

2. Only met him once a few years after Bosnia, and I cannot better your description of him - 'blustering, feeble minded, egocentric, self-publicist'

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bonking Bob,Mad Ed,Bad Ed,Crazy Boris,Call Me Dave,well the Silly Season has just finished so bring on the Joker Season...

4. Who asked him to run?

5. Whilst I know little about him, apart from the first press releases, and his own PR work, consider this; he is one of the few MPs who have actually had a career outside of parliament, trade unions, or any other of the usual routes followed by professional politicians. He doesn't seem to have any family connections to the trade, a la Hilary Benn, Mr Harman, etc.

Would he be any better than the other loonies in the asylum? I don't know, but at least he has done something of worth. I am willing to be shot down in flames, but I would like to think there must be something there to reach his last rank and responsibility.

What's alarming is he is in the minority.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ed Milliband

Sent from my mobile

• Like Like x 1
  7. sorry to be so pedantic, Big Bob was never in Kosovo (well he may have been but that's not he's (in)famous for))

8. Short answer : NO. :)

9. So this thread has nothing to do with having sex with him ? :drool:

10. One in seven MPs have never done a real job | Mail Online

Chef, the figures are high but perhaps not as high as perceived; Stewart is by no means in the minority.

With regard to his claims; I listened to the interview and thought he was making a fool of himself. It is a non-story and I'm confused as to why he made it public? I could only conclude that it was for his usual self serving PR ie "look at me (I'm still alive) and I'm being considered as a possible leader"; I suspect there were a number of Tory MPs pissing themselves at the very notion.

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Correct, here's a shot of his wagon.

CIMG1676.jpg

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The whole "stalking horse" arrangement by the Tories usually follows a pattern.

a) select a nonentity to challenge the leader
    b) leadership election held
    c) Party leader wins but is fatally damaged
    d) New elections for new party leader.

That's how the wicked witch of the east midlands was ousted.

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Thank you. One of mine, I took several hundred.

Anyway, I've taken it down. It is Sunday, after all. Though I would add, that one has already been published, in 1998.

14. True, but that's not a bad thing. At least there's a mechanism in place to get rid of a failing Leader. Look at the problems Labour had with the Blair/Brown succession, and the realisation that the Messiah of the Treasury was a political halfwit -and they were stuck with him.

15. He's only famous because he got caught shagging his terp. I don't recall him being famous for much else. He is the worst sort. A cold war warrior who turns up on the news claiming to understand be in touch with the Army. A Fat sweaty old fella who has little in common with those he claims to represent. Maybe he's perfect for politics?

• Like Like x 1