Would you mind standing to attention?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by supermatelot, Jan 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left 5 years ago as well matalot and yes they were wearing gucci (type) trainers.

Why dont these people understand the whole reason for drill and the manner that it is carried out. FFS.

2. Why don't you read the (non) story and work out why your post is rubbish? If you can of course.

3. Society has changed a lot over the last few years and so have ways of communication. What is the problem if the ATRs move with the times?

Recruits arriving for basic are probably softer than they were 20 or 30 years ago because society in general is, so they need to be treated differently. That being said, based on the remarkable bravery of 18 and 19 year old lads in afgan I don't think we have any reason to fear that they are coming out of basic any softer.

4. by teh lft qck mrch lol

5. I seem to remember that nice Sgt Wilson would ask the chaps to fall in if they didn't mind, not like that shouty Lance-jack from the butchers

6. Sgt Wilson is that you?

7. We're DOOMED! We're All DOOMED!

8. Nooooo The Daily hate.......What a wnak paper

9. Take a good look at what is happening in Afghanistan right now, are any of these young guys who are earning medals any softer because they were not shouted at by some moron who is on a power trip (i am not talking about normal drill which some shouting is to be expected and was never bullying, some of the best times when you look back will be the times on the square.).
    I had some good laughs on the square even when drilled by Guards Sgt Major.

The shouting and bullying goes on at other times and should never be allowed. I will 35 years later take an iron bar to one room NCO I had if I ever see him again, sleep with one eye open K---- Taylor. He was the worst kind, would only do it when drunk and had other creatures to back him up.

10. Take a good look at what is happening in Afghanistan right now, are any of these young guys who are earning medals any softer because they were not shouted at by some moron who is on a power trip (i am not talking about normal drill which some shouting is to be expected and was never bullying, some of the best times when you look back will be the times on the square.).
    I had some good laughs on the square even when drilled by Guards Sgt Major.

The shouting and bullying goes on at other times and should never be allowed. I will 35 years later take an iron bar to one room NCO I had if I ever see him again, sleep with one eye open K---- Taylor. He was the worst kind, would only do it when drunk and had other creatures to back him up.

11. LMAO...inspired!!!!

on a serious note, the ASLS is a fine organisation that is the absolute envy of the training world.

whats better? bawling and yelling at the crows for every minor infraction and seeing a significant dropout rate, or coaching and mentoring and achieving the same result but with higher pass rates

I know matt fensom and his replacement very well; they are privileged to not only command an inspiring unit, but also command some of the best WOs and SNCOs the Army can produce

12. you have to develop discipline, comradeship and character as well as a sense of humour. All of my good memories on the parade were of the comedic insults and becoming part of the squad and how proud I was when we finally got it right.

You can beast soldiers on exercise and PT, however any individuality stands out like a sore thumb on the parade square and this is the forge where soldiers are made.

A soldier on the battlefield will get shouted at, I know I was the one shouting, I needed immediate responses in highly stressful and critical situations. I want that soldier to be able to respond immediately because if he dont someone is going home in a body bag.

I wish this social engineering just stop, the army has its faults but it has managed to work well because of the medieaval humour and character building. It has to be a short sharp shock as that is the only way to get results. Individuality comes through experience, experience cannot be given at training depots.

Lives depend on this,

A

13. don't think its a question of social engineering or meddling, just us becoming more effective.

shouting has a place, on the drill square and for safety...

if you were training as a civvy technical apprentice learningcomplex skills then you wouldn't expect to be bawled out; the army is no different. the human dynamic on the battlefield will never change, changing mentoring and coaching techniques in Ph1&2 will not affect that....

14. Mentoring has a place, I used to get guys coming in from there trade course and mentor them. There is no need for bawling out, only had to do it once and that was when someone did something really dangerous. I didnt enjoy it then. Had to on the battlefield though, and that was neccessary.

The army really lets itself down on mentoring at times,

On first day at unit I was paired up with a full screw who made me his shadow, learnt loads and I definately owe him a beer or two. I try and emulate that with my guys.