Would you fake it for 100k per yr

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BanjoBill, Jul 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I't hard to say how much the Darwin's will do in actual time behind bars. But assuming they get some parole, they'll have earned about 100k pa for their little scam, plus all the book sales they can make later.

Not for me, but I suspect there are many out there who wouldn't turn their nose up at that per yr.

How much does a rifleman get for tour in Taliban country these days? :roll:

2. msr

msr LE

12 yrs, so approx £20,000 and I expect that will be recovered.

Ms Gilchrist said that prosecutors would be working with the police to make sure that the Darwins were forced to repay the proceeds of their crimes.

The quarter of a million pounds is still in bank accounts held by Mr and Mrs Darwin and asset recovery teams will now work to extract that money.

msr

3. Aye well hope they succeed.. should do..

But.. No no... 6.5yrs max - parole after 2ish.. so about 100k to share per year... but point taken.. just got a quick glimpse

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

They'll probably face a confiscation order under the Proceeds Of Crime Act 2002 (POCA).

Should have stayed in Panama.....

5. msr

msr LE

6. I was having a discussion along similar lines the other day with someone.

What happens to the money that benifit cheats who know the system inside out and are able to scam the system out of? in some cases, tens of thousands of pounds. Is it recovered in its entirety? The point arose after watching a BBC documentary (on the fiddle, iirc) in which a couple managed to scam more than 100k but recieved little more than a slap on the wrists.

With those sorts of punishments and with the law heavily stacked against investigators i can see why people would take the risk; after all as B_B says, even if you do get caught it's probably still worth taking the 6 months comunity service if you get to keep your 350K house and BMW X5 etc...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add - Ah, it seems my Q was answered before i'd finished asking!! Damn these slovenly fingers.

However, i would also like to ask, is there a high incedence of the authorities getting all of the money back that is cheated out of the system?

I can imagine some slimey chav claiming an infringement of human rights due to a steep decline in personal living standards due to withdrawal of state funds...

7. The wife said she fakes it for fukc all right now so she would be happy with fifty quid and a chip supper.

8. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Odd yet that a woman who flacced the post office out of around £89k but was convicted of the theft of 69K of it was given community service!
    And as for making money out of it books etc then I belive there is now laws to prevent this?

9. With regard to benefit cheats, I am told by Court Clerks that before they are ever brought to court the cheats have agreed to repay the money owed, that is why the punishment often seems to be little more than a 'slap on the wrist'. If they do not pay willingly (!) their benefits are reduced so that they pay anyway. Even so, it probably takes about a 100 years to repay what they owe.

10. Professional criminals are pretty rational - there's a lot of evidence that they quite accurately work out what the rewards are, what the likely punishment will be, what the chances are of being caught..............they do a risk-adjusted return. When people began to be absolutely shafted for drugs professionals moved to VAT fraud and fag importation. Nobody but a desperate idiot runs into a bank with a sawn-off these days; the risk/reward is all to buggery.

So, yeah, loads of crime is perfectly rational. The punishment is really a reasonable cost of being in "business".

11. I read a book written by a californian bank robber. It was glory days, a million banks, vast freeway structure to get away.

But even in the best days of his robbing he barely earned 40k a year. Case the joint, do a job, split the proceeds, pay off the car guys and after laundering the money and there was not much of a return per person.

12. 20 years ago i had access to around 350k cash in used notes in a job id only just started, the company hardly new me and i could of disapeared easily with it with a days head start, it was the takings from a large shopping complex for the weekend before christmas.

still look back nowadays and wonder where id be now, still going loco down in Acapapulco or maybe the scrubs, anyone else ever been in a situation like that but it just wasnt in them to do it.

13. Was it one of "McNabs" books - a US soldier who found $1m in (I think) Panama and he handed it in! The bloke who told the story couldn't stop thinking about it.

There is nothing better to encourage honesty than someone telling you how you would have been caught. Example - I said to my mate the cop that if I did a robbery I'd go to ground, and I'd plan it beforehand. Lay doggo for 2-3 days and then walk away in new clothes. Most people seem to get caught by running and creating a hue and cry. He said that loads of people try this. If there aren't loads of witnesses to the flight they assume that's what you've done and massive area search follows. Two jocks from 1/52 Lowland got caught hiding in the bins in the back of a tenement 8 hours after a robbery - they thought they had a plan nobody else had thought of. Or how about taking a shitload of money by typing in card numbers to your small shop point of sale machine? Problem is they have "flow controls" - as soon as you have an uptick in business they note it. A big surge and the cops will be round.

The prisons are full of people who thought they couldn't be caught.

14. My wife fakes it for a tenner a go!

15. She didn't charge me :wink: