Would we invent NATO if we didnt already have it?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by angular, Feb 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lots of people elsewhere are slagging our brave European neighbours for not helping out in AFG. The plusses and minuses of that argument can go on elsewhere, I'm just curious to think about whether we (i.e. UK) would bother to form NATO if it didn't already exist.

There doesn't seem to be enough commonality of vision within the Western countries, to make a defence alliance credible any more. Our world views have diverged to the point where I can't see the point of pretending to rely on our neighbours to defend our interests.
  2. Yes!

Minus the cheese eating surrender monkies of course!
  3. Yeah, the Abbot wasn't happy.
  4. It was born out of necessity, that necessity isn't with us anymore. UK doesn't seem to put the same emphasis on European cooperation as the rest of the European mambers, so it's only natural we don't see the need anymore. What I don't understand is why we seem to see it as existing to support our foreign policy decisions. As Lord Inge pointed out in his recent critique, it's a defensive alliance, not a binding agreement to commit troops to support an ally regardless.

Well, maybe if Prince Vlad gets his way, we'll all see the need to hang together again. I'd rather we didn't just blindly follow the lead of Washington and NATO gives us some alternatives.