Would this be walting?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chiefwiggum, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was in the TA during mid 80's to early 90's, R Sigs Radio Relay Operator. (C70 if anyone remembers that bit of kit!) I then had a couple of years in the RauxAF as a Rockape until unit disbanded. Total service 10 years or so.
    The dilemma is this; I am proud of my service in both arms and on occasions I would consider wearing a regt. tie, not to big myself up in any way but to show a support for and appreciation of our armed forces.
    I do not consider myself waltish but neither would I wish to be considered so. What would you do?
    cheers
    Chief

2. Claim ignorance and deny all knowledge.

3. I thought the TA were walts???

I'll... get my coat

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Tricky only when someone asks in what manner you served - if you lied, you'd be a walt, and if you told the truth, you'd be a STAB.

Damned if you do, damned if you do, if you see what I mean.

5. You've done your bit, so go ahead and wear with pride whatever unit tie you were in. It only becomes Waltish if you wear something you're not entitled to.

6. Done his bit of what?

He was a member of a couple of drinking clubs that's all.

If you wear the tie then you are a walt, a civvy walt.

7. This is a bad side-effect of all our walt witchunts...

Sounds to me like you are perfectly entitled to wear both (most importantly with your head held high).

Go cut a dash, sir.

8. Yes, what 'bit' have you done?
    Drinking on a TA night does not count.

9. Served Operationally ie: had rounds in magazine, loaded to weapon in an Operational Theatre (and NOT on a range of any description)? Not Walt.

Otherwise? Walt. Walt. Walt.

It's that simple. Anything alse is dodging the issue at hand and an attempt at sneaking under the RADAR.

The rule of thumb? If you think it could be Walt, then it is. End of.

10. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

So all of those people who served in the 70s and 80s on BAOR who never went on an op tour are walts when they wear their Regt tie then?

No, if he has served, he has earned the right to wear the tie and be proud of doing so.

Just because you may have been one tour more than me - does that make me a walt?

Let's get a sense of proportion here fellas. If you served, took the oath in whatever guise and tell the truth about your service - you are not a walt. End of......

Out.

11. Eh? How many times were the TA used for operations in the 80's and 90's?

A good part of the regular army never served operationally in that time frame either, are they walts too?

He was serving (albeit part-time) and he was ready to go if asked, so he's not a walt he's just nostalgic.

12. Nah.

We're confusing medals with ties here chaps. Surely I don't need to have actually stormed Nutwood by bayonet point and called in fires on The Professor's House to wear my Rupert Bear tie?

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

There's some nonsense being posted in here! Wear the tie mate, you're entitled, you're proud of your service so ignore the dissenters and crack on. :D

14. ...preferably one at a time though ;)

15. Oh go ruin all my fun.