Would they really ask it?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldishgit, Mar 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I apologise if this has appeared elsewhere...

I was sent a link to this article by a friend and, whilst I take most blogs with a pinch of salt, this makes for a rather unsettling read.

Will you open fire on UK citizens?
  2. Anyone for a tin foil hat?
  3. Which newspaper do you work for? :wink:
  4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Why not?

The chances of it happening are so slim (to none), its hardly worth worrying about.

Depends if Martial Law is in effect, whether there has been a coup against Zanu NL, or if the economy has completely and utterly collapsed and people are raiding shops for food.

Highly unlikely though.

(If it was a terrorist, then thats more likely to be a 'yes' straight off the bat)

Civil unrest is first and foremost the remit of our Police Force.
  5. Yeh, that's why you hear so much about this on here isn't it?
  6. I work in Bradford and would actually pay for the priviledge to shoot some of the chav scum that live there..but I don't suppose they're going to let me
  7. Hehe! I didn't think of it from that angle. :oops:

The Blogger comes over as overly melodramatic, but I wouldn't be suprised with much that Westminster tries on.
  8. Living in the London area, I can sympathise. One MP, Andrew Pelling, has already asked for the Army to be deployed to fight knife crime?!?!

Andrew Pelling article
  9. What a feking fool, would I open fire on a UK citizen, 10 January 1976 2046 hrs without a doubt I did
  10. yep line the chavs up against a wall double tap oh the sweet thoughts of it.
  11. i live in Luton... would be a dream to wipe it off the map :wink:
  12. Would the Army open fire on a one-off peaceful protest right in front of them? No.

If there had been weeks of demonstrations, rioting, violence of all kinds and the troops had had to do Aunt Sally impressions for most of it and suddenly a Yellow Card-compatible situation arose? They already have, mate.
  13. Were members of the IRA not UK citizens?
  14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Not if they did a bit of cross border bog trotting.

But a load were locals, yes.
  15. Oh my god - the sheer lunacy on display there is stunning. Yet more reasons why Richard North is fundamentally a very dangerous person to write about defence.

Until recently I worked in the area of UK Ops - MOD policy on UK Ops is crystal clear and available in full on the internet. Put simply "We do not do Army on the streets putting down rioters". I can categorically assure the lunatic poster that we aren't buying any kit for internal security duties of this type - there is no role or requirement for us to do so.

Remove the tin foil hat and go and read some turgid doctrine (JDP2-02) - hopefully if you don't drift off, you'll realise that our involvement in the UK is limited to rescuing people and sending local authorities a large bill.