Would they accept me

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by nutcase, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey people

I'll try to be brief

I am an army scholar and am no longer part of a cadet unit...and there are no local ACFs...and my ACA has "advised" I should find one...
    there is a local TA unit (256 field hospital in kingston) which I am very interested in joining, especially as I want to be an army medic...
    however I am 17 and am unsure whether they will accept me as I am not medically qualified...but I do have the scholarship and have been "advised" to join something...

Do you think they would accept me?

Thanks a lot
  2. I'm assuming you've still got another year of 6th form by the way you're asking the question. If you're off to Uni in September don't bother, deal with the UOTC then.

I don't see any reason why a TA unit wouldn't take you as a soldier, the whole point is that they're there to train you up, not take someone who knows it all.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get too worked up about being in the ACF for one year. As long as you do something productive with your time (e.g. football, D of E, etc) and dont sit around drinking white lightning and robbing grannies you'll be ok. I know plenty of army scholars who weren't in the Cadet Forces.

3. Yes I do have another year of 6th form.

It is because it is a field hospital one that perhaps as I am not medically trained they would say no.

Thanks a lot

4. hey, I want to be a combat med tech, are you looking to be a doctor?
  5. Yep...:D
  6. Join the TA as a CMT they will be only too happy to train you up, if you are looking at becoming an Army Dr they can also advise you on Cadetships etc good luck.
  7. This sounds good...do I need to have any special qualifications or do I simply ask to become a CMT?

As for cadetships...I already have the 6th form scholarship and will hopefully apply for the medical one if I get into medical school
  8. Hi nutcase, you need to be 17 + 6 months to formally start the process although your TA unit should be happy to talk to you beforehand. If you are joining as a private then you pobably dont need to know anything already, though it might be galling if you join up with some nurses who are officers by the time the ink is dry on their aplication forms.