Would the world be a better place

Certainly in some areas of the world. I work in a former colony and the place has descended into chaos since we left. Many locals blame the brits for abandoning them before they were truly ready for independence.

I'm sure there are other areas in the world where countries have gone on to do well after independence.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

E

EScotia

Certainly in some areas of the world. I work in a former colony and the place has descended into chaos since we left. Many locals blame the brits for abandoning them before they were truly ready for independence.

I'm sure there are other areas in the world where countries have gone on to do well after independence.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
And of course it has nothing to do with the people in the (former) colony but has to be Britain's fault not theirs.

No question about it. What say we ask the Governor Generals to dissolve parliaments and reclaim territories? The Glorious Second British Empire! Tally ho!

No question about it. What say we ask the Governor Generals to dissolve parliaments and reclaim territories? The Glorious Second British Empire! Tally ho!
The problem is that the Pax Britannica was backed up by a million bayonets.

We wouldn't be able to do that any more.

H&S wouldn't allow such nasty pointy things.

The problem is that the Pax Britannica was backed up by a million bayonets.

We wouldn't be able to do that any more.

H&S wouldn't allow such nasty pointy things.
Let me see a full risk assessment and a method statement for their use and we'll get back to you.

I think that the problem is that it's too easy for small numbers of people to put a bit of a dent in a big military machine these days...

The countries would of course end up far worse off after independence, but I don't think that we would be interested in hanging on to any countries where any part of the population didn't want to be hung on to.

I think that the problem is that it's too easy for small numbers of people to put a bit of a dent in a big military machine these days...

The countries would of course end up far worse off after independence, but I don't think that we would be interested in hanging on to any countries where any part of the population didn't want to be hung on to.
We could always hang the ones that don't want to be hung on to.

Exactly - that was then, when the potential enemy had sharpened pieces of fruit and we had Maxim guns.

Nowadays you just need some fertiliser and a bit of know-how - they wouldn't need to defeat us militarily, just cause enough damage to make us not want to bother. Imagine what it'd be like if we were deployed in a few dozen Afghanistans at once...