Would it be useful?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by CadetDad, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My lad has just passed (hopefully or his brother in the ATC will rip the piss!) his "Basic/Recruit Test".

He is loving it and it's suiting him. FOcus, drive, commitment - all the things I try to beat into him.

VArious olds and bolds are offering bits of kit for him to help him along.

Extra trousers, jackets, etc - I can see the use.
    Gortex water proofs - I get it.

I drew the line at a SA Assualt vest and NI Chest rig though!

I have, however, been offered a Helmet for him. It's a Mk 6 GS Kevlar helmet.

Should I accept it? Will it be of use to him? Or shall I decline as it will just gather dust?

Apologies if this is a bone question - still new at this ACF lark!!

2. I woud decline it mate, im pretty sure that cadets arnt meant to wear helmets due to the stress they put on the neck. I have checked my red book (im a sad git i know) and the only refrence to combat helmets i can find is obstacle crossings and it says they shouldnt be worn. However if he needs a helmet he will be issued it as and when. If he wears a helmet that you give him and injures himself due to it, the ACF insurance wont cover him.
    How much are they asking for the helmet by the way?

Also there is no such thing as a bone question, if you dont know the answe to it. There are only bone answers.

3. I have a feeling Nutter is right with regards to Kevlar helmet - seem to remember something about them being passed down about cadets not being allowed to wear them back when I was one, and that was three or so years back. The thing about 'stress on the neck' sounds like the right excuse; sounds similar to the one I heard about cadets' necks not being developed well enough to take the weight of a kevlar.

4. Cadets aren't meant to wear helmets, nor would they really need to at any point. If they do need one later in their life (16+) then they will have helmets provided as required.

5. With regards to the webbing (as in SA Assault Vest / Chest rig) - it might be good for him, because depending on the unit, they may only be issued 58 pattern webbing.

A low price SA Vest made by webtex is idea for Cadets (but only just). It will hold a couple of magazines when he is on exercise, lots of food! and other bits that cadets love to carry.

And if it happends to be the webtex version (rather then the REAL SA Assault vest) it will mean that if he trashes it, it won't matter!

6. That's settled then!

Thanks for the feedback - I shall politely decline it.

Apologies again for the noobie dad question.

7. I can sel you a proper army issue one for 20 quid

8. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

From what I've heard, we don't wear helmets so its easier to ID us as cadets, but by looking at some of the webbing that I've seen people wear, that shouldn't be hard!

I wouldn't bother giving him the SA Vest or the NI rig; he should be issued webbing.

9. If Nutter is offering the original SA Vest for £20, then go for it, that one hell of a good price! If it happends to be the webtex one / highlander one it only costs £13.50 + vat trade, so again not a bad price!

10. http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/shopscr495.html

just in green DPM

All the pouches are clunk clipped though unlike in the above pic

11. A recruit initially is best kitted with a good pair of boots, waterproofs, preferebly goretex, and a good sized daysack in OG or DPM. Everything else is likely to be issued. In time he may want to buy a small gas stove, or a camelbak, a good pair of gloves and a warm hat and gaiters are all much more satisfying on a cold wet day and more useful than that gucci warry assault vest with hundreds of pockets all over it.

Don't assume he will be issued webbing. The ACF is not scaled for webbing and any that they have is hand-me-downs from the army or has been acquired by a committed QM. However many units have PLCE or all arms bergans on loan, so buying a pair of side pouches is a good investment, because you can increase the carrying cpacity of your issued bergan when needed. Also you can detach them and use as a daysack

If the SA assault vest, and the NI chest rig is good to go and being offered for £20 its worth having because you might not get such a bargain again, but right now in his ACF career, its not the top of the list kit.

But decline the helmet. Cadets don't wear them unless they have to, and then they will be issued for that activity. I often hear people talk about the weakness of necks, but the other issues regarding helmets are just as important and they are:

If a cadet accidentally nuts another who isnt wearing a helmet, he could kill him!
    They precipitate heat exhaustion
    They have to be properly fitted, serviced and inspected (The ACF doesn't have the expertise)
    They are expensive
    They will get lost

And if the cadets wear them, I have too as well, and I think they are an utter PITA

Some of the warry nutters will turn up with loads of fantasy kit. I've seen a cadet turn up with helmet, CBA and a bayonet for a weekend ex. That was all confiscated in the kit check before departure, but the same cadet had forgotten his waterproofs and KFS!

12. I am pleasantly suprised that this is a well balanced informative thread about kit for the ACF and Walts final post sums it all up. And hasn't turned into the slagging match it usually does

Mods can we lock this thread before it gets crayoned all over

13. With the boots thing, a decent pair of socks are needed; boots are only as good as the socks the cadet is wearing. However I have heard rumour and seen some cadets get issued with socks now, although its not a guarantee they will get them.

A cheap poundland boot cleaning kit would also be useful.

[/quote]Don't assume he will be issued webbing. The ACF is not scaled for webbing and any that they have is hand-me-downs from the army or has been acquired by a committed QM. However many units have PLCE or all arms bergans on loan, so buying a pair of side pouches is a good investment, because you can increase the carrying cpacity of your issued bergan when needed. Also you can detach them and use as a daysack

If the SA assault vest, and the NI chest rig is good to go and being offered for £20 its worth having because you might not get such a bargain again, but right now in his ACF career, its not the top of the list kit.

But decline the helmet. Cadets don't wear them unless they have to, and then they will be issued for that activity. I often hear people talk about the weakness of necks, but the other issues regarding helmets are just as important and they are:

If a cadet accidentally nuts another who isnt wearing a helmet, he could kill him!
    They precipitate heat exhaustion
    They have to be properly fitted, serviced and inspected (The ACF doesn't have the expertise)
    They are expensive
    They will get lost

And if the cadets wear them, I have too as well, and I think they are an utter PITA

Some of the warry nutters will turn up with loads of fantasy kit. I've seen a cadet turn up with helmet, CBA and a bayonet for a weekend ex. That was all confiscated in the kit check before departure, but the same cadet had forgotten his waterproofs and KFS![/quote]

Maybe he was planning to get some slightly fresher food with his bayonet.

14. Incidentally, there may be some good news on the horizon re cadets kit

There is an intention to increase the personal issue to cadets, so they will have on joining:

2 prs CS95 trs
    2 CS95 shirts
    1 x CS95 Windproof smock
    1 x OG Fleece
    2 prs OG socks
    2 x T shirt OG (coolmax, allegedly!)
    Waterproof Jacket DPM (Goretex)
    1 pr boots, assault (would sort out a lot of problems!)
    Brassard
    Headdress to arm
    Cap badge

(OG shirts, jersey HW and lightweight trs are to be withdrawn)

Al items exchangeable if outgrown or through fair wear and tear.

AFAIK its only an intention, because the issue of funding has not been fully resolved, but some items we may see sooner than others, like the t-shirts, the fleece and the extra set of CS95 shirt and trs.

15. Agreed. I'll PM the mods too.

Thanks for your comment Easesprings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.