Would it be possible for a medical officer to join the Special Forces?

Interesting, cheers for that, it was very informative. Is the GMC’s paper available to the public? It seems the BMA info relates to doctors who are employed as doctors in a clinical or med role. The interesting grey area has always been the MO’s who side-step from clinical roles for a posting into eg. non-med staff roles or pilot roles, does it address that?
I can’t find the paper.

IIRC it says any Doctor that has a GMC number and is practicing, is a Doctor, and thus covered by their ethical interpretation.

My understanding of RAMC who become Pilots attached to AAC suspend their GMC registration for the period, and then have to re-validate when they come back to doctor-ing.

MOs who have transitioned to the Command and Staff cadre are only involved in J4 Med roles, which are ethically appropriate. I know of no MO who is, say, SO2 Joint Targets etc.

I can’t find the paper.

IIRC it says any Doctor that has a GMC number and is practicing, is a Doctor, and thus covered by their ethical interpretation.

My understanding of RAMC who become Pilots attached to AAC suspend their GMC registration for the period, and then have to re-validate when they come back to doctor-ing.

MOs who have transitioned to the Command and Staff cadre are only involved in J4 Med roles, which are ethically appropriate. I know of no MO who is, say, SO2 Joint Targets etc.
Fair one but I didn’t quite have joint fires in mind! Anyway, thinking about the OP’s question (who wouldn’t be affected yet as a student) does it say anything about GMC registered doctors as non-medical reservists or is that in the too difficult tray for now? Curious as there are quite a number.

I think he means 99% have done the AACC.
I thought that medics attatched to Commando units and Commando Medical squadron, Commando Logistics Regiment RM, were RN Medical Assistants, and Surgeon Commanders who had passed AACC (in the main)

The RM is offically part of the Naval Service together with the RN and RFA was my understanding.

My original question was do the Royal Marines have the equivelent of the army regimentel medics.

I thought that the RN provided all medical support to the RM. Like the USN provides medical support to the USMC with its Hospital Corpman.

I remember watching a doco about one of Ric Jollies boys in the Red and Green Life machine in 1982 was a Marine. He said that he had joined the Corp in full expectation of slotting her majesties enemys, but at the end of the day was happy that he helped to send lives instead.

There are RM MAs, but for career and branch management purposes, are RN MAs (same promotion boards, training, etc)

It’s a lot lower than that.

The Corps went through a period of saying you need to have a green lid to work in the Cdo Units.

Then they didn’t have enough medics (or other supporting arms), so quickly changed their minds.

I suspect the number of non-green lid RN MA who were attached to the Corps during HERRICKs various also helped change their mind!
Also, as has often shown to be the case, the medics have a well deserved outstanding reputation, with or without a green hat.

Also, as has often shown to be the case, the medics have a well deserved outstanding reputation, with or without a green hat.
A couple of MCs, plus many more QCBs and MBEs can attest to that.

Do you have anymore info on this?
And
Can nurses complete it?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're serving, search SFTC on the defence learning environment or sharepoint.

If you're not, join up.

Rapey MaGoo

Old-Salt
Apologies if I'm repeating information, I've had a few beers and can't be arsed to read the whole thread.
Depending on which service you end up joining you can apply to attempt aptitude, on completion you can then apply to attempt the UKSF Med selection course (it isn't called that, but OPSEC and that). If you complete that, you can be posted to H, Poole or Colchester (which is primarily role 2). Once you're known in that world (and qualified) you may be offered a Sqn MO job. You will then work closely with said Sqn and end up spinning ally dits and hatting off all the other docs in the mess.
Be prepared to be beasted by CMTs/MAs, especially matelot's, they will try and put things in you.

Latest Threads