would i get deployed?

kingcal91

Old-Salt
so, i am currently 17 yrs old and applying to join the Coldstream Guards, i have my ADSC on the 1st April so i expect to be at Catterick about June-July time, so i should pass out of training in November - December time, i turn 18 in October when the Coldtream Guards are being deployed to Afghanistan, would i be deployed straight away out of training? and if so how would it work for Pre-Op training?

i am not asking this as in i don't want to go, just want to know how it will work

leonidas42

Old-Salt
Yes, highly likely that you will be deployed. As you state, you will still be in trg at the time of your Units PDT. You should therefore be loaded on the OPTAG pre deployment course prior to you going. Don't worry, as there will be other members of your Unit, that for various reasons, will be on the course with you.

poo_finger

Old-Salt
You'll be going without a question of a doubt!
Your unit will bang you on PDT straight away and then you'll be out to theatre!
Enjoy and good luck!

kingcal91

Old-Salt
well... nothing like a good sun tan to kick off the career

Douthy

Old-Salt
are you guys sure?

im joining the grenadier guards (leave for catterick on april 5th, finish october 30th)

they get deployed in october and my recruiter (who is also a grenadier guard) said not to expect to be deployed as guards have phase 3 training?

edited for getting finishing month wrong, twice!

March_Hare

Old-Salt
Douthy said:
are you guys sure?

im joining the grenadier guards (leave for catterick on april 5th, finish september 30th)

they get deployed in october and my recruiter (who is also a grenadier guard) said not to expect to be deployed as guards have phase 3 training?

Plus I was under the impression that new Guardsmen spent some time with their regiments respective incremental companies after passing out?

C

.co.uk

According to the Coldstream Guards page on the army website:

No 7 Company is an incremental public duties company stationed in Woolich Barracks, London. The Company has a wide range of ceremonial commitments, ranging from the provision of the Queen's Guard to providing men for the Queen's Birthday Parade. Additionally, the Company takes part in numerous military and overseas adventurous training exercises. Guardsmen are normally posted to No7 Company on passing out of training.

1st Battalion:

In February 2009 the Battalion will move to Aldershot to become part of 1 Mechanised Brigade. After a training cycle during the Summer and Autum of 2009, the Battalion will go on readiness for deployment to an operational theatre.

Grenadier Guards:

1st Battalion Grenadier Guards
The 1st Battalion is currently based at Wellington Barracks, London. The Battalion is presently training for deployment to Afghanistan in October 2009.

Nijmegen Company
Nijmegen Company is also based in London, and is largely focused on public duties and state ceremonial events. A soldier passing out of basic training will be posted to Nijmegen Company for six to nine months. In this time the Guardsman's training is built upon so he is well prepared to take up his life in the 1st Battalion.

Hope this helpes in some way?

Best thing you can do guv is go straight on tour, last thing you want to do is spend a year in, say, Windsor, Tidworth, Gibraltar or some other ******** place listening to all the xxxxxx from the "veterans" whilst you are waiting for your next deployment.

Besides, it's what you (should have) joined for..

kingcal91

Old-Salt
it is exactley what i joined for, i was just wondering what the chances are of me being sent away straight off the bat, at least have some idea if i am gonna get a sun-tan next winter ;)

;
Same thing happened to me, I was 17 when I arrived at Regiment, 6 weeks later I'm 18 and deployed with the rest, it's the best introduction/education you could wish for!

Good luck

The worst thing happened to me. I joined IJLB at 16 and passed out on my 17th birthday. Because my bn was abroad, I was not able to leave the depot until I was 17 and 3 months. So, not only did I join my unit on a shit posting listening to all the muppets tell their glory stories of Omagh the year before, but all the people that I had been in training treated me like a redarse too, even though I was better than most of them.

Had to wait nearly two years to be deployed anywhere. All the way up until then, you were either "one of us" or not "one of us".

I hope you get on tour and I wish you a good, successful and safe tour..

kingcal91

Old-Salt
Part of me is a bit worried about it, but most of me hopes that I get onto a training in take in hopefully July so that I at least have a chance of getting sent away, don't want to turn up at battalion just as every one else is coming home, my brother seems to to think that they are going on a year long tour? we have two friends in the regiment who he reckons told him this, dunno how true it is though

kingcal91 said:
Part of me is a bit worried about it, but most of me hopes that I get onto a training in take in hopefully July so that I at least have a chance of getting sent away, don't want to turn up at battalion just as every one else is coming home, my brother seems to to think that they are going on a year long tour? we have two friends in the regiment who he reckons told him this, dunno how true it is though

The "one year tour" does the rounds every er... year... it is nothing more than sh1thouse rumour based on the fact that the American Army does 1 year tours, and some senior posts and formation HQs may need to deploy for longer - e.g., majority of 2* and 3* posts in US HQs, CAF deployed to Iraq for 9 months.

CGS has recently made it very clear that the Army intends to maintain the 6 month tour as the standard length as much as possible.

i passed out of training december the 1st was in battalion the sunday after, got to battalion went straight into my company for pre op training deploying 27th of this month- but thats the welsh guards could be different for coldstreamers but a few off my mates in the coldstream done exactly the same as me and are based down the road from us now.

kingcal91 you sound like a bright lad but be careful who you get advice from. Speak to the battalion members who will visit you whilst in training or your instructors. In regards to where you go once you pass out, well pass out first, thats the first hurdle.

My feeling is yes you will go to number 7 Company purely to gain some experiance first - if you want to come to afghan with us, noone will stop you. Factor in career courses, battlefield replacements etc and you should be there for the last 3 months with a view to permanently joining the Battalion once back.

Each Guards Battalion is different as to what they do with the new guardsmen. Listen, your opinion will be valid once you arrive and speak to your new Company Sergeant Major & platoon sergeant. They will be the most important people in your life noone else.

There should not be a problem in getting to afghan. Trust me you will be a welcome team member. With the guys coming back from Ops last year, i never saw first hand of anyone having problems because they never went and blokes giving them a hard time. I for one would stamp it out, we havent got any time for that childish shit anyway. It happened to me when i was young, but we are too professional a regiment for that these days (My personal view).

Relax, learn your skill, stay focussed, stay healthy (NO DRUGS) and stay fit and once you pass out from Guards Company expect 7 Company but push for Battalion. Expect flexibility at all times ok.

To end, you will be very welcome, i foresee a LMG gunner in you. Further more, tour length = 6 months bust - give or take 2/3 weeks. That will never change.

Anymore advice, dont hesitate to send a message. You can a member of the Coldstream Guards very soon.

Nulli Secundus youngun

Latest Threads