Would I fit into the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eden1994

Clanker
Alright so guys I want to join the British Army as an officer. I have a masters in mechanical engineering and heard that its better to go for an officer role as people with degrees are preferred.

I have a question mark in my head though. I moved to this country when I was 7, I am originally Kurdish. So would it cause friction if I was an officer who wasn't blood British? I have an English accent and not a foreign one, and I am more proficient than most English people anyway.

So that's what I wanted to ask. Would it raise eyebrows if I went in as an officer?

Like Jarrod said.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
You are a trifle up your own bottom with that comment about your proficiency in English above most English people. I would change your attitude asap sunshine.

eden1994

Clanker
You are a trifle up your own bottom with that comment about your proficiency in English above most English people. I would change your attitude asap sunshine.
Well that's what a lot of my English friends have said over the years. It might not be true, but I have worked on my English a lot, especially because it is a requirement for my degree.

Again it might not be true. I might be completely useless.

No but it could affect clearance in some roles, same for any of the armed forces and some government jobs.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Well that's what a lot of my English friends have said over the years. It might not be true, but I have worked on my English a lot, especially because it is a requirement for my degree.

Again it might not be true. I might be completely useless.
Keep thoughts like that in your own head and do not mouth off about it, and read "How to win Friends and Influence People".

llech

LE
I didn't have the intention of being a smart ass, but I was just trying to say I have worked on my English quite extensively since moving here unlike the typical immigrant who just learns "enough".
I hear you brother, cnuts have been turning up in Wales and not bothering to learn it for a Millennia!

I didn't have the intention of being a smart ass, but I was just trying to say I have worked on my English quite extensively since moving here unlike the typical immigrant who just learns "enough".

Quite possibly so, but that is not what you actually did.

Your English grammar contains several mistakes (lack of capitalisation, missing punctuation). My Kurdish is undoubtably non-existent, but then again, I do not profess to be more proficient than most Kurds.

Backing up a bit, if you have been in the UK for 10+ years, have a Master's degree in mechanical engineering and can write and speak English without accent, then you can probably apply for a very wide range of jobs, including Army officer.

eden1994

Clanker
Quite possibly so, but that is not what you actually did.

Your English grammar contains several mistakes (lack of capitalisation, missing punctuation). My Kurdish is undoubtably non-existent, but then again, I do not profess to be more proficient than most Kurds.

Backing up a bit, if you have been in the UK for 10+ years, have a Master's degree in mechanical engineering and can write and speak English without accent, then you can probably apply for a very wide range of jobs, including Army officer.
I would argue that was due to lack of attention to detail rather than poor English. I only ever double check when writing a report at University or at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads