Would I be wasting resources?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Death_Rowums, Sep 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, in case anyone has ever read all the seemingly contradictory posts I have ever made, I am an eager young man that can't sit still with an idea for more than about 5 minutes without changing it. That said, once I am doing something I stick with it.

Basically I am now at University, as a full time student. I did state somewhere that I wanted to join the TA at university and maybe do a tour taking a year out if that is how the time taken to become trained worked out. Having been advised that taking a year out of my studies in such a way might be a bit of a bad idea, I've decided to take the person's advice.

However, I still wish to join the TA. Now, I know an awful lot less about the army than perhaps someone thinking about joining the TA should, but I read a lot on Arrse about cutbacks, overstretch and the like.

The question I want to ask therefore is would I be wasting equipment and money that could be allocated to someone else if I wasn't going to be mobilised for at least 3 years? I don't intend to make this post sound like I'm having a go at those that don't go for mobilisation. That is not my intention at all. I just want to know if I could really be a benefit to the army if I tried to avoid deployment for 3 years?

Thank you for your time.

P.s, I did have a quick read about mobilisation in the wiki, Mr Stabtiffy2B
  2. H3

H3 LE

Nope go for it and after 3 years you'll have a fair bit of knowledge to fit in if mobilised .

H3 8)
  3. I was in the TA for 10 years before I got mobilised, I had chances the do S types to Bos etc but the time wasn't right for me. Go for it, looking back even the sh1t times were good. The TA always needs someone to keep the JRC open lol.
  4. msr

msr LE

If you stay in for 3 years you'll be in for longer than the average TA soldier...

5. Dare I ask, is retention really that bad?

Again something I've not looked into, but why would I (as someone who wants to join) look at reasons why people are leaving, it'd only put me off.
  6. msr

msr LE

According to some figures I saw last year, more people leave in the first three years than all othe others combined...

7. Been in 15 and not been mobilised yet. I sort of hope that at least some of what I've done hasn't been a waste.

In my subunit, phases were canned from last w/es training due to lack of personnel because a significant number are mobilised; so on that basis you'd be an asset even if you were not eligible for mobilisation due to your education.
  8. You may come out of your "dead" three years a well rounded soldier, possibly with a stripe and ready to mobilise, or for a career in the regs.

You might decide to take a year out of your course and do a tour that way - you wouldn't be the first, and you won't be the last.

You might turn out to be a whiny little b1tch and fail/drop out of TAFS 2, dishonouring yourself and your capbadge.

You'll never know until you try though.

All the best.
  9. Do it. You won't be wasting resources if you are giving it your all. You are providing manpower that will enable the unit to provide better training. Students are seldomly called up because as students they will most likely apeall and win thus it is a waste of time. If you however wish to do a tour as others have stated it should not be a drama doing it in a year out.

In return for your best efforts you will be compensated with beer tokens. You will learn a lot about yourself and raise yourself confidence which will be a bonus one you start off in the real world. You might even carry on post uni.

The TA needs people and staying for three years without mobilising carries no shame. Training and courses are often binned due to lack of numbers. Just being there you can help.
  10. msr

msr LE

Additionally, when you graduate and your employees come to you for permission to do camp, you will know why they are asking and what they will get from going.

11. I was going to mention that but it sounded to much like the OTC mantra "..when you graduate and x from the shopfloor comes to you asking to go on camp..."
  12. Go for it. Well worth your time and by no means a waste of resources. The drinking tokens are also a significant bonus for most students. As an adjunct, have you gone through the thought process of OTC vs TA? I have experience of both and commend the OTC as student/leadership-skills focussed and great fun. OTCs will be recruiting now so it is a good time to make contact. However, if you are motivated to crack basic training and then to develop some more particular skills, go for the TA. Use the TA link from the Army website to find out what TA units operate in your area. Arrange to visit a few and don’t be pressed into a decision until you have seen what they all have to offer.
  13. It is a nice thought Mr Msr and Mr Bedtime. However I think that it will be me that is the one 'on the shop floor', so to speak, for many years. I wasn't keen to mention it but im doing Law, I'll be going nowhere fast promotion wise.

The East Midlands OTC was at our fresher's week societies function. I don't want it to come out as rude, as I am sure the OTC do great work, but I want to soldier and do my bit.

I have already started to have a look into TA units and the nearest is Infantry, which is the unit I will be applying to.
  14. msr

msr LE

Get in there and mix it with them, you have spent enough time on these forums.

15. Plenty of legal types in the TA.

You'll certainly need contacts if you're ever thinking about applying for Articles or Pupilage (sp?) nowadays, and the TA isn't a bad place to start making them.

Nice to see you're joining God's own arm, too.