Would I be laughed out of the recruiting office if......

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by muzz, Mar 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I (an aussie - can't get into the ADF doing what I wanted because their colour perception standards won't let me) turned up fresh out of a BA majoring in philosophy and int. relations as a 23 year old and said I wanted to be an infantryman?

2. No if that's what you want to do go for it. But it may be better to listen to what the recruiter has to offer you before you make your mind up.

3. well ideally i'd like to persue a commission in one of the arms corps but i'd have to live in the uk for 5 years to get "naturalisation" so i figure being a squaddie for that time is the best way to go about things - after i've got my degree for something to fall back on. thanks for your input though

4. Who told you that? You can go straight in for a commission if you are a commonwealth citizen.

PS that would be the "Teeth" Arms not the "Arms" corps

5. The armyjobs website and an online recruiter. Yes teeth arms is what i meant, please excuse the mong typing.

"Security clearance procedures require candidates, whether or not they are of UK origin, to have resided in the UK for a period of 5 years prior to entering officer training. In certain circumstances a waiver of part of this requirement may be granted." - armyjobs website.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

As a commonwealth citizen, the rules don't apply. As a non-commonwealth citizen you can join the Army after three years in the UK, sometimes less. Recruiting Group have the ability to raise special cases for those with specific qualifications that the Army needs. Nevertheless, three years is usually not a problem for all.

7. so would that be the waiver part they talk about?

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Difficult to say without knowing exactly what they said but it sounds like it. But, as I've said before, the fact that you're a commonwealth applicant shouldn't make any difference. If you're unsure, you should visit your local ACIO/AFCO and suggest (nicely otherwise you'll come across like a right cocky tube) that they get the definitive answer from the overseas cell in Recruiting Group.

9. I would but singapore (up here due to old man's work) doesn't have a local recruting office haha. I suppose I should have made it clear i'm not living in the u.k and wont be studying there as its too expensive for me.

10. Actually, there are residency requirements imposed on commonwealth applicants for both officer and soldier entry.

For soldier entry into the Infantry, IIRC, there are no residency requirements. However, other trades may require residency, depending on your nationality and where you have been resident in for the last few years.

Best bet is to call OSEAS Cell.

+44 01980 618156

11. ok will do. thanks for the number.

12. My ex boss is a Canadian and as far as I know he didnt reside in Blighty regularly before he started the Officer selection process.

Also, as far as the laughing you out of the careers office thing goes, one of my mates (also a private soldier) has a degree in political science (or something along those lines), and more blokes than you'd think will admit to starting some sort of university education at some point before chucking it in to join the Army (this is in 2 PARA for the record anyhow).

13. Join the que :D I am graduating in June with an Arts degree and am hopefully going to join the Infantry.

14. Yeah I'm sure there are ways to get in without the 5 years residency. If I am not though that will make me 27 before I could even apply for Sandhurst... i know in theory its still possible at age 28 but in reality would that put me over the hill?

15. Black Rose Immortal - is that as an officer or soldier?