Would British people stay and fight or run away?

With hundreds of thousands of people leaving the counties of their birth in the face of religious and criminal activities and intolerance I ve always wondered what we British would do in similar circumstances?

I can't help thinking that out of sheer pigheadedness and our inbred intolerance of bullies I think that 'we' may be far more likely to stay and fight!

From all contemporary accounts the number of IS scumbags/other worldwide tossers are relatively small and thinly spread in many areas and are fully dependant upon the fear and panic of the local population but if this was occurring in Newcastle Manchester or Glasgow I can't help thinking that the locals would be more prepared to defend their territory - for example that Baggage handler at Glasgow airport or the granny who belts a robber with her handbag etc.

I don't want to take anything away from those people suffering from the depredations of these murdering thugs but I genuinely think British people are different - of course we benefit in living in a country and social culture that is far better that just about anywhere else so that might be why we d fight harder for it?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

With hundreds of thousands of people leaving the counties of their birth in the face of religious and criminal activities and intolerance I ve always wondered what we British would do in similar circumstances?

I can't help thinking that out of sheer pigheadedness and our inbred intolerance of bullies I think that 'we' may be far more likely to stay and fight!

From all contemporary accounts the number of IS scumbags/other worldwide tossers are relatively small and thinly spread in many areas and are fully dependant upon the fear and panic of the local population but if this was occurring in Newcastle Manchester or Glasgow I can't help thinking that the locals would be more prepared to defend their territory - for example that Baggage handler at Glasgow airport or the granny who belts a robber with her handbag etc.

I don't want to take anything away from those people suffering from the depredations of these murdering thugs but I genuinely think British people are different - of course we benefit in living in a country and social culture that is far better that just about anywhere else so that might be why we d fight harder for it?

I'm sure if the British people had no police force, no NHS, no welfare system etc that the majority of people would run if they faced the same threats as those in the various shit hole countries around the world.

Unless the threat was French in which case the country would unite no matter what the odds to give the cheese eating surrender monkeys a good shoeing.

I'm sure if the British people had no police force, no NHS, no welfare system etc that the majority of people would run if they faced the same threats as those in the various shit hole countries around the world.

Unless the threat was French in which case the country would unite no matter what the odds to give the cheese eating surrender monkeys a good shoeing.

Just your opining Stacker. 'Round here they love a fecking tear up and a semi legitimate or 'justified' reason in the name of 'decency and democracy' would be all they needed. Then real agg and looting would be after they sorted out IS ....anarchy, I'll give ya fecking anarchy.

given that we've sat back and watched as career political wankers have wrecked the country and let every tom,dick and polack come in and help themselves, I guess the answer is run away .

In the space of a few generations we have gone from stiff upper lip to whipped-dog scared to do or say anything,
and hide behind the phrase "we are a tolerant nation"

I recall having this discussion mid 90s post serbia / croatia etc when gangs of foreign young men were having punch ups outside our local nightclubs. The answer then was the same as now. We are a natural waring nation due to history/geography. We will stay here and fight if someone is stupid enough to start.

Most would give up trying when they realised they didn't get all the kit you get in COD.

I believe the "Mass Observation" organisation which carried out social surveys during WW2, found that a shocking percentage of the British population were willing to wave the white flag and let the Germans in, especially after Dunkirk and during the blitz. Liverpool in particular stood out as the city with the most defeatists.
The one thing which makes a difference in this country is command and control, if the politicians feel threatened then something gets done at whatever cost.

I think the biggest inclination we would have to stay is that you've got to be bloody good swimmer to start leaving.

I think the biggest inclination we would have to stay is that you've got to be bloody good swimmer to start leaving.
Or own a boat. or a plane,

In the space of a few generations we have gone from stiff upper lip to whipped-dog scared to do or say anything,
and hide behind the phrase "we are a tolerant nation"
We were tolerant of all sorts of immigrants back through history, until rightly or wrongly a few pissed us off a bit too much, then there are a couple of nasty and very intolerant incidents. I don't think you change that sort of thing in a couple of generations.

If ISIS were coming through Newcastle we'd be happy if they took over the footy club. Would be a great way to see the back of Mike Ashley.

Obviously then the Toon Army would turn on the new ISIS owners of NUFC, after one poor result, with their 'Sack The Board' chants whilst popping back and forward to the Black Bull for a quick pint.

ISIS would be totally clueless, especially with that topless fat bloke with NUFC tattoo'd on his twenty bellies, and all his mates.

They'd probably just pack up and fcuk off, especially when the weather starts getting really shit.

I don't think an Arab army would last 2 minutes chasing the Free North East Army through places like the wind swept waste lands of ex mining towns like Ashington and Bedlington.

I can imagine their commander saying 'Whos fcuking idea was this! Fcuk it lets go back to Alans Snackbar for a goat burger' as the icy rain is blowing right in his grid and a horse punching geordie is trying his best to knock his teeth out.

And Gazza tipping up with some cans and a roast chicken.

Probably be the same in most towns up and down the country.

There pick ups would have the wheels robbed off them if they stopped for longer than 60 seconds in Liverpool, and as all ready mentioned they'd be out gunned in Manchester. They'd attack Glasgow and probably make the place look better.

I would just so I could hear cool random shit like this on the radio,
wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Which would mean cut their beards off and dump the twats on a railways line like this,

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
especially with that topless fat bloke with NUFC tattoo'd on his twenty bellies
His nickname, not surisingly, is Beefy. He used to have a Sunderland season ticket before turning to the dark side. Runs (ran) a taxi business in Jarrow.

Secretary of the SAFCSA Jarrow Branch is a mate of mine. Useful contact.

The trouble with staying and fighting, is that the Old Bill will nick you for taking the law into your own hands.

Fucked up country that this has become.

L

lumpy2

Run away? Where would British people run away to?

It's often been said that today's generation of young people are apathetic, but I don't believe people have changed all that much. I expect the same was said of the 1920s "flapper" generation prior to WW2, and presumably the Edwardian generation prior to that.