Would appreciate two seconds of your time for a research project

How old are you? Male or Female? Thanks :)

• 13-18

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 19-21

• 22-25

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • 26-31

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • 32-37

• 38-43

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • 44-49

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • 50-55

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • 56-60

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • 61-64

• 65+

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Male

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • Female

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters
I'm going to be doing a Masters in history this October. My thesis is about the Armed Forces from 1945-present day. As part of my thesis I will mention ARRSE.co.uk

I was therefore hoping you could take 2 seconds to fill out this very brief poll, just so I have some idea of the ages and gender of the people using this website.

Thanks very much for your time :)

What relevance can that info alone have on anything?! You'd need to at the very least have a time served option alongside the age to provide anything remotely meaningful. Otherwise you may as well post the same on a tesco forum (if such exists)

What relevance can that info alone have on anything?! You'd need to at the very least have a time served option alongside the age to provide anything remotely meaningful. Otherwise you may as well post the same on a tesco forum (if such exists)
Completely agree.

C

cloudbuster

I'm sure that given their skillset, either of the COs would be able to give you an accurate snapshot of Arrse's demographic. Far more accurate than expecting bored surfers to tell you the truth...

I'm sure that given their skillset, either of the COs would be able to give you an accurate snapshot of Arrse's demographic. Far more accurate than expecting bored surfers to tell you the truth...
How? I didn't put my DoB, inside leg measurements or favourite type of fish down when I joined the site.

I just want to know the demographics of users on this website in particular :)
OK..A random guess that I reckon is a fair assumption:

Out of all registered users maybe 5-10& are actually active (posting 10 times per week plus)
60% of those 5-10% will have actually served in the forces at some point.
30% of those 60% will have served for a significant amount of time (above say 5 years).
5% will still be actively serving and are most likely to be in the 30-45 age group, where now holding a seniorish postion allows them the time to post whilst actually working (desk job).
95% will be male, 4.9& are female and .1% got his gonads removed at his own request.

There are several publically high profile active members who (rightly) maintain anonymity.
There are a few high profile members whose story has been told in the media.
There are quite a lot of people who just have an interest in the forces but have never actually served.
There are some who don't have any interest in the forces at all. These people are in the RAF or TA and they just come here for the banter and erudite wisdom that is always on display (totally free of charge!)

Hope that helps!

Just to clarify, I would hope that some people would tell the truth, as it should be (if I set it up correctly) an anonymous survey. However, the two links Bad CO has posted are proving very useful, thanks :)

@supermatelot - Thanks for the summary, that makes sense to me. Also made me chuckle a bit too!

I forgot to add - 0.1% of posters once flew Lynx and should (quite rightly) be ignored.

I just want to know the demographics of users on this website in particular :)
A poll like that will give you the demographics of people who are willing to fill out your bone poll. Assuming they tell the truth. Which they won't.

Even if everybody did behave, this is an anonymous forum and you have no way to verify the information. Therefore, it's worthless in its entirety. It's not even a useful indicator.

I ticked random boxes because I'm a ****.

Just to clarify, I would hope that some people would tell the truth, as it should be (if I set it up correctly) an anonymous survey. However, the two links Bad CO has posted are proving very useful, thanks :)

@supermatelot - Thanks for the summary, that makes sense to me. Also made me chuckle a bit too!
Also I will add:

Those of us who are quite active on here often know thereabouts the credentials of others without actually been told directly or the claim being made. The majority of civilian posters who have never served actually state so. A person's "history & credentials" can easily be assertained over a period of time simply by seeing their expressed level of insight into certain discussions. Anyone who trys to bluff tends to overuse military cliches in order to try to fit in. This often works the same with humour as well - military humour can often be dark. Some try to over-egg the pudding though. Easily spotted.

Most on here who are serving or who have served have never actually stated in a comment "I served in X regt from 85-94 and was a sgt who went to..." . You get the jist of who has been where and who has seen what. The ones who are ex-SAS also tend to have never done the nudge nudge wink-wink thing either. You just see over a period of time their level of engagement in certain discussions and what they can bring to the table.

That's my opinion anyway. An ex-sailor who has more medals than uncle Albert and if you listen carefully - you will hear the 'pipe the side' in the background when I log on ;)

Durham..Any chance of a synopsis of the rough idea on how you intend to present you information and references to arrse?

Forgot to add - Most Daily Newspapers look upon these forums in order to harvest the finest comment available on stories of the day.

And 0.5% of arrsers are actually disgruntled Ppruners who got pissed off with the mandatory shirt & tie o the mil forums or rumours & news!