Would Any Single Company have suceeded in securing the olympics?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Giancarlo_Badass, Jul 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Like many people I have closely followed the Olympic Security issue since it became headline news earlier this month.

Whilst I am unimpressed by the way G4S have handled the contract, supported by many of the statements made today by Nick Buckles of G4S, I can't help but feel they had been set an almost "mission impossible" based not only on the numbers to be recruited but also the geographical area to be covered.

I actually think some the key questions not asked publicly are:

a. Who authorised a single contractor to deliver the security of the Olympics, especially when the numbers required were raised from 2,000 to 10,400?

b. Why was it considered unnecessary to spread the work over a variety of contractors based in the towns/cities that are delivering the Olympics?

Just a few thoughts!
  2. Why didn't G4S subcontract work out? Or did they try, and fail?
  3. No - of course no single Company could have handled it.

It would have needed quite a few battalions and supporting units
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The answers to both A and B lie in government corruption.

Freedom of info requests establishing how many politicians and senior civil serpents have a financial interest in G4S's continued success would prove very interesting and I'm surprised the press aren't already on the case.

Personally I don't think it was a massive challenge to get 10,000 trained and employed staff. They just wouldn't have made the ridiculous profit margins they were able to anticipate.

Ask yourself.

If they are willing to give 50million back without debate, how much are they still going to make?

Even private cost overtime for soldiers or coppers would have proved cheaper for the government but then the private sector would have cried they weren't getting invested in.

Once again the public sector, this governments villains, are left with picking up the pieces and running with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Working the olympics is a small drop in the ocean compared with what g4s do on a day to day basis.

It would have been fine but somebody made a huge cluster **** by 'ghosting' and got caught out
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Slow day in the House today Ms Yvette Barrelmaker?
  7. A contract is a binding agreement between 2 parties, are you saying that G4S just signed it and crossed their fingers that it would be "ok on the night"? They had 7 years to prepare for this, and before someone says its a unique project, so is any new contract that a company takes on.

They claimed to be the people to achieve this task, and they have failed dismally. Mr Buckles should be fired or resign now. I would normally expect a senior executive to remain in post and sort out the mess, but in this case he is not adding any benefit to his company.
  8. I think G4S were blinded by the prospect of huge profits and bonuses. In other words - their greed exceeded their capability.

I watched that Buckles fella being turned into mince today and thought HTF did he get the job in the first place.

I think there are lots more questions that need to be asked, particularly in the awarding of the contract, the personalities involved and their relationships to each other/organisations. I would not be surprised if there is a lot of urgent e-mail alterations/shredding/burning/@rse covering planning going on right now in a host of places.

As for sub-contracting, my son-in-law's security firm enquired about taking on some of the work but were given the BFO by G4S - "we don't need you, we've got enough of our own resources' and that was last year!
  9. You would have to consider that "what g4s do on a day to day" is a bit of a clown show as well.
  10. Dont you get sick of hearing about all the "legal" crooks making a large fortune out of the tax payer? wish I knew how to do it as I`d like a slice as well.
  11. Third largest private sector employer in the world, 650,000+ employees and revenues of £7.5 Billion.

They have the resources and the experience to deal with it, they chose instead to try and make a quick buck....serves them right for nosing in the trough
  12. Buckles' assertion about this being a unique contract should be measured against some other industries where short term labour is recruited for specific tasks.

Royal Mail annually recruits over 20,000 christmas casual staff to ensure that the christmas mail is sorted and delivered in time for christmas. The recruitment process starts in September with a start date of Mid November, and not forgetting that each recruit has to be CRB checked to ensure they have no criminal history. These staff are used until just before christmas (usually 23rd December).

Just what was so different about what G4S tried and dismally failed to do.
  13. Is it just me or does Buckles give off the air of a man that should be sorting "Terry and Dave" out with a few quid for smashing his rival's burger van while he nipped down the bookies to make himself scarce rather than running a muli-national company?

Much as I loathe posh boys I just can't get over how rough around the edges and incompetent this man and his henchman seem. He looks bewidlered and totally out of his depth. He has the appearance of a poor man's David Dickinson and the business acumen of Del Boy coupled with the presence of a rabbit caught in headlights.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What about the festival lot who all do short term contracts?

The olympics is no different
  15. If I was in G4S now I'd be hunting down the Sales Director and the Head of Programme Management with a BFO axe.

The SD has obviously been blinded by the size of the bonus he was expecting due to the incremental sales on the contract (2,400 - 15,500)

The HPM obviously didn't have the balls to tell the SD to shove it as there was no way they could resource that number in the timeframe. More likely the HPM was told his services were unlikely to be required if he didn't shut his big gob and hide the risk register when the internal auditors came a calling.

My first job after graduating was working in a small electronics firm in Leics. One day the salesman comes in and asks the Technical Director "What are PCX500/R5s ?"

TD says "No idea, why do you ask"

SD - "I've just signed a contract to make 5000 of them, delivery in 3 months!"