Would an SLR round stop a heffalump ?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Didosdadsdogsdead, May 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got on to the subject of bangsticks over a beer with a mate the other day and the question was asked would a single 7.62 round bring down a few tons of rampaging bull elephant. Being ex sigs and never getting a posting where marauding pachyderms (sp) were thick on the ground my answer was I wouldn't have a scooby, but will find out for ya.

Over to the experts :)

2. If the round hits in Jumbo's Family Jewels, you'll probably bring it to a stop.

NTM

3. If a round hit me in the family jewels I'd probably come to a stop in a few kilometers.

4. through the the spine from an open truck is the way they hunt hefalumps now.

Not quite as quaint as from another elephant or on foot.

5. Theory always was that a brain shot was an essential. Nice discussion on another form of 7.62 here though http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261254.
    I did see quite a few SLR deaths at post-mortem. The internal damage was high. The idea of the central mass aiming is that the velocity will rip the aorta and it certainly did that. I suppose right to say that an elephant is so much bigger that the chance of damaging a vital bit is less. The bullet could do the business, could the shooter?

6. Possible with a well placed headshot although military FMJ ammunition is far from ideal.
    Karamojo Bell shot plenty of elephant with a 6.5mm Mannlicher Schonhauer but you wouldn't find many professional Hunters today who would choose something less than .375 Holland & Holland.

See
    http://www.african-hunter.com/elephant_part_1.htm
    for more details.

7. Hmmm, good question.

Do you think it would stop a Hippo?

Or a Tyranasaurus?

or a Great White Shark?

These things are really bothering me at the moment.

8. Did read an article many moons ago.......elephant killed by a .22 round....it appears to have been a lucky shot..... the round penertrated the orbital socket......instant kill ...

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Me too. Can you get a FMJ ball round in 7.62 into the upper atmosphere, and if so, how far, and is it still effective against antelope when it comes back down, or should you use .338 Lapua Magnums or Federal Match Boat-tails instead? If not them, would it work better you hand-loaded them and then dropped them from the ISS? But, would they burn up on the way down?

I really need help with this because I've been waking up in a sweat, screaming!

I think the elephant thing is fairly basic - if you shoot it in the toe, it may get angry, but if you get a spine shot, lungs, heart, nape of neck, brain cavity, gonads, anus etc., it may have have difficulty with the movement side of things.

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Biped.

I have to admit to similar night sweats and worries. What if an angry bull elephant came charging own the A14 in Cambs, would a 7.62 FMJ be enough. And, more to the point, how could I get one and the means to fire it on my way to Tesco?
    My entire family are now starving because I dare not go to the shops, just in case I meet one.

11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Yes, have seen culling operation in Zimbabwe and Kruger National Park in South Africa where the weapon of choice is the FN Fal - used from very close up, frontal skull shots.

Poachers btw normally use the good old Ak47 too.

12. Enough poachers seem to be able kill elephants with the 7.64mm (which is a slower round generally) so I guess 7.62 is going to work as well.

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's the rub isn't it? One lives in dread of meeting such a creature that may have been mauled by a passing lion, and might be really ANGRY. I do know that a car won't do the job as I've already trashed my old Cortina when trying to defend myself from a raging water buffalo a little while ago outside my local Liddl's. Obviously, a Heffalump is bigger and prefers the plains to water holes (though obviously it still needs them to drink). Thankfully, my local watering hole was closed down due to a rabies epidemic.

While we are on the subject, can one use a formica table as overhead protection against falling parliament buildings?

14. In my experience, just wave a mouse in front of the rampaging elephant, and it'll have a heart attack and die right there.

Of course, you need to be really, really stupid to stand in front of a rampaging elephant waving a mouse, 'cos you're gonna get squished.

15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ah, Biped. You need to be evry careful with Formica. Not always strong enough, but some carefully shaped MDF may do the job.
    Formica is best used as a shield against Gnus. Especially if it has a shiny side.

Legs has a good point regarding the mouse,but they are so difficult to hold onto whislt driving. I believe that a large bag of peanuts may act as a distraction, but whether it will be for long enough to find a mouse, I can't say. Just as an aside, Barry Manilow records are a good way of attracting camels. Or at least they used to when I went out to clubs.