Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Would a university degree help with career progression?

MHants1999

Swinger
If I were to join the Infantry, or the Royal Armoured Corps, would having a degree from a university (Russell group) help with my progression through the ranks? I know that my character and suitability as a leader will dictate what level I reach, but would a degree help with that directly?

Cheers for all the responses.

Yes.
As long as it's not in media studies of golf greens management.

However the services are looking for people who are prepared to put the effort in to "go the extra mile" as well as having a degree.

A good degree will ease entry to officer training assuming that is what you are thinking.

Doubtless others will have more information than I do.

With large numbers of young people entering the job market with a degree you ought to consider it, if only to be competitive. These days many soldiers (not just officers) across the Army have degrees, including the combat arms. As a potential officer you should give yourself the best possible chance of success at both selection and career progression. A degree, although not everything, offers some demonstration of academic application.

I'll buck the trend - obviously, everything you bring to the table is a benefit.

However, if its an eventual commission you're seeking then it wont make a huge amount of difference - its your characteristics that are the most important factor.

Plenty of total spankers have degrees. Plenty of great officers started out without one.

Also, if you're just planning on serving as a tom, it wont have any significant affect on career progression.

Career civilian perspective.

Having a degree if/when you leave the army is also good for the civilian job market - many firms use it as a filter: "Applicants must be qualified to degree standard or better".

I'm not in a position to comment on the impact a degree would have on your army career, but as a life choice, a good degree in a pertinent subject (a science for example) would be a good investment should you decide the army is not for you at some point in the future.

Good luck,

Wordsmith

Last time I was briefed, about 80% of the Reg CC who turn up on 'Ironing Board Sunday' at RMAS have a degree. If you don't have one, and are going to a career stream that doesn't include a degree programme, you can apply and be selected for the Army Higher Education Programme (AHEP). This will start you off on a degree programme funded by the Army and delivered by Reading University and Henley Business School. There is also provision for a master's post ICSC through the same scheme for those who already have a first degree.

It all boils down to how you do at AOSB: you may be told to bugger off and come back when you have more chance of passing. Hence, a degree may be useful as a time filler and a qualification, one less thing to do at Regimental duty if you do commission, and thirdly, highly useful for your second or subsequent careers.

Halloumikid

Last time I was briefed, about 80% of the Reg CC who turn up on 'Ironing Board Sunday' at RMAS have a degree. If you don't have one, and are going to a career stream that doesn't include a degree programme, you can apply and be selected for the Army Higher Education Programme (AHEP). This will start you off on a degree programme funded by the Army and delivered by Reading University and Henley Business School. There is also provision for a master's post ICSC through the same scheme for those who already have a first degree.

It all boils down to how you do at AOSB: you may be told to bugger off and come back when you have more chance of passing. Hence, a degree may be useful as a time filler and a qualification, one less thing to do at Regimental duty if you do commission, and thirdly, highly useful for your second or subsequent careers.

Halloumikid

Thanks for the reply.
I already have an AOSB pass, as I managed to get a scholarship last year. I am due to start university in September but may decide to go to Sandhurst instead instead of waiting 4 more years. Would you say that, theoretically, if I were to leave the Army after 8 years with just my A-Levels and qualifications gained in the military, I would be able to find employment in the civilian world?

I hate to say this, but unfortunately your commissioned experience does not guarantee you "graduate status" when you leave.

A number of guys I served with left to find that they had to go to university in their late 20s. It was unfair - they had the maturity of a graduate, a proven ability to construct & explain an argument, and more resilience than most guys their age.

The fact they'd been selected to lead men aged 20, and chosen to be Adjutant or Battalion Operations Officer in Iraq/Afghanistan ( classic "top third" appointments ) cut no ice with the HR departments of big firms. Off you go to university - build up some debt, write some essays, atrophy a little.

Its not always this way - you can enter the lottery for an in-service degree, bag an MBA after leaving or find a firm small or smart enough not to be prescriptive when recruiting. And who knows what the educational & jobs scene will be like in 8 years time?

But not getting an undergrad degree is a risk, especially if you have high aspirations in the long term to go into competitive fields like banking, law, consultancy etc.

It pains me because I think its unnecessary and expensive but I'd recommend going to University first.

If I were to join the Infantry, or the Royal Armoured Corps, would having a degree from a university (Russell group) help with my progression through the ranks? I know that my character and suitability as a leader will dictate what level I reach, but would a degree help with that directly?

Cheers for all the responses.

No-one ever got fired for hiring IBM.

Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my view), the graduate will always be favoured, even if that's not officially acknowledged.

Despite what you might believe if you spend too much time on Arrse, the Army will still be there when you graduate, and your degree will still be valid when you leave the Army.