Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wot's this?

So doing the family tree and a great uncle is a pre war regular with 2Bn RSF seems to make it through the lot of it until 1918 and gets a GSW wound to left leg but other doc says shell, Looking at the medal index card whats the clasp thing at the bottom about?
richard boyle.png

cymraeg

War Hero
Clasp for the 1914 star maybe?

Fascinating, so the medal was issued to all members of the BEF (378,000 ) between 5 August and midnight of 22–23 November 1914, and the clasp was issued later to those within range of enemy guns (350,000 ordered, though by 1919 not all those eligible would have been around to pick them up).

So that means only some 28,000 of those eligible for the original medal would not have been eligible for the clasp, do I have that right? Is there a reason why they felt the need in 1919 to differentiate between the vast majority and the minority who weren't in direct range in that particular period? The 28,000 who were ineligible for the clasp were hardly shirkers and presumably most went on to see a great deal of action in the coming years.

Thanks guys,

I suppose the next thing is to see if his medals are still out there, Don't think he had kids and died aged 47 and wife died before him.

His docs are interesting as the cover him back in civi street and make reference about a walting VC in the local RBL (not him)

@brettarider

Not sure you're aware but the annotation 'Roses' refers to the rose symbol sewn on the undress medal ribbon to signify the clasp has been awarded.

Also I see that his injury was severe enough for him to awarded a 'SWB' (Silver War Badge) - these are researchable btw.

Care to release his name into the wild and I'll have a rootle around for you?

@brettarider

Not sure you're aware but the annotation 'Roses' refers to the rose symbol sewn on the undress medal ribbon to signify the clasp has been awarded.

Also I see that his injury was severe enough for him to awarded a 'SWB' (Silver War Badge) - these are researchable btw.

Care to release his name into the wild and I'll have a rootle around for you?

I'll send you a PM with his detials and his badge no

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
My understanding is that Gun Shot Wound/GSW was used as a generic term for any penetrating wound, which would be consistent therefore with a shell injury.

Latest Threads