wot the fcuk were puttees for?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by MADPIERRE16, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wore puttees for years. yesterday whilst walking through Eden camp museum I pointed a set out to my kids and they asked me what purpose they served.
    I didnt have a clue, can anyone be of assistance?
  2. Puttees had a myriad uses. Among others, they stopped snakes from biting your ankles, and prevented those really irritating bits of gravel dropping into your boots when tramping about in the boonies.
  3. Faced with a narrow stream, you could run through and the puttees would stop most of the water from going into your boots.

If you were in water for long periods puttees/DMS still held an advantage over the current high leg boots in that they held less water.

Puttees could also be improvised into bandages, slings and all manner of strops, etc.

Puttees Snr told me that the original puttees (wound from ankle to knee) were devised to prevent the blast of an explosion travelling up inside your trouser legs, which would have a painful result, but I suspect it was really just to stop your trousers getting muddy.
  4. They were there to make up for the 3 or 4 inches of leather that wasnt there. Simple.
  5. They also stopped the trouser elastics cutting off the blood flow to your feet.
  6. Once did a march and shoot - one of my section fractured his ankle but didn't know till he took his puttees off a couple of miles later.
  7. Well, in my day (old buffer's voice), not a first aid lesson went by without the use of puttees. How we expect youngsters to cope these days without puttees, I don't know. They'll be giving them these new-fangled automatic weapons next !
  8. Putties were used to seal off the tops of DMS boots which were far too short. As for using them for bandages we used to cut them down so they could be put on and off quickly. They were a pain and made your ankles swell
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They were there to unravel on the individual part of the BFT and trip you up causing you to get extra PT!
  10. For those of you who don't know of it here's a link

Well worth a visit, but go early (you will want to stay all day!).
  11. And you can get free entry on 7 September - it's Veteran's Day - but you'll be expected to take part in the parade at 14:30. (I assume it's the same as previous years).
  12. They stopped unwanted wildlife running up your trousers... especially out in the khuds! :D
  13. Puttees are yet another hangover from days of Raj. Word is derived from the Punjabi word Patti which means a bandage.

As quite rightly pointed out they were to protect the lower leg from nasty bites by local wildlife. Originally worn knee length.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Any reason we went to them from Anklets?
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They went so well with hose tops: