Worthy Down Sgts Mess

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by dumbstruck, Feb 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am just wondering if the Mess at Worthless Down is still the same as I remember it, as I am due to return on course after many years´of avoiding the place. The questions that I have are:

Do the PS still have their own part of the bar, which if used by a mess member on course will be RTU'd with a strong letter sent to his/her SO2.

At meal times when the mess is full of course personnel and the only seats available are the PS tables (which remain always empty)

The different dress codes for those on course and those god like PS.

Not being able to use the bar when a function is held due to the Corps Band playing in the bar arear and not being able to get a drink even to go to the TV room with it.

If anybody could let me know if any of the above are still in place it would be appreciated.

2. I heard there's pubs down town that serve beer and have TVs. Could just be a rumour though.....

3. Not a bad idea, but I do not intend going downtown for a meal at lunch time. The general theme of my topic was and still is:

Is the mess still geared towards the PS. or do course attached still get treated as 2nd class peasants.

4. I have heard that all the PS have got 3 heads and the streets there are paved with gold. Is this also true?

Seriously been there recently and usual mess happenings going on, but no high and mighty PS.

The kebab van is still on the hill before camp as well and his chicken kebabs are legendary :D

Chefs are there now as well so should add something to the atmosphere too.

Which course are you going to be attending?

5. I was posted there, the mess was bonk, n0bber WO1s from line regiments dragging their own rules in (no numbers on polo shirts etc), and paedo WO1s trying to borrow your computer.

I hope its improved.....

6. You're not even in the Sgts Mess so what do you know about what goes on in the mess?

7. There is a dress code but nothing excessive. Perm Staff do not have own bar/tables although they do seem to sit in the same seats in the bar area at lunch time. Thats force of habit though. You still cannot go into the bar when there is a function on unless you are dressed correctly.

8. RE: Teesidewhites.

I agree the Mess is a normal mess, no high and mighty PS looking for issues, but there are some personnel attending courses with either:

a jaded view of 'Worthless Down' which has been instilled throughout their career and this has had a negative impact upon their expectations (ref 1st post).

the belief that 'Wothless Down' Mess does not really count as a mess, dress codes, etiquette and mess rules are to be ignored. (poloshirts with numbers on?)

I would never expect to attend a Guards mess bar with my LCFC shirt on, so why should I expect to do it there? You should find the PS are not the inhumane animals that are always looking to 'pick people up' as is perceived. I know a few of them and strangely they are just AGC (SPS) personnel trying to do a good job, despite their resources etc (just like the rest of us).

If you are attending a course in WD, then I would suggest that you are aware of the Mess rules, but please do enjoy it - being on course is not a punishment.

9. I'm gonna keep this one 8)

10. Having attended a few courses and one recently, the PS - student divide has narrrowed, although I did come across a rather large rotund gentleman droning on about students taking his usual place at the bar. They have got rid of the PS table in the dining area, however, have introduced some barking rule of having students walk around in short sleeve order, which is nice in December.

11. Most units are short sleeve order all year round now anyway. I've only ever been at 1 that wasn't and when the RSM changed, so did that rule. Long sleeves just makes you look like you're wearing Pyjamas. IMO it looks ridiculous.

12. Call me old fashioned but I thought SS order was for summer and LS order was for winter. The only place that I have been to that wears SS order all year is WD and only for students. Might be the trend in the wider Army but 7 Bde have definitley not picked up on it.

13. What army are you in then :?

My unit and the other 7 in this garrison must have missed that particular change in Dress Regulations 8O

14. [Call me old fashioned but I thought SS order was for summer and LS order was for winter. The only place that I have been to that wears SS order all year is WD and only for students. Might be the trend in the wider Army but 7 Bde have definitley not picked up on it.[/quote]

I think you will find that PS also wear SS order in the School

15. I think you will find that PS also wear SS order in the School[/quote]

Must be something to do with the Green Beret :wink: