Worthwhile upgrade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Morning

I've an iPhone SE. No problems, the battery's fine, there's cables and power bank things when I need them and there's enough room for the music. It's a 64gb.
I've been offered an upgrade to an iPhone 6s it's a 32 gb.
Any point,
Ta

Bigger screen, may last longer (as it’ll be new - assuming a similar lifespan), probably better battery life.

They are basically the same phone - except the 6 is bigger and has a slightly better camera.

Bite the bullet go for the iPhone X I've recently gone from an SE to an X and I have to say I really like it.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm a bit odd, I use my phone as a phone and text thing. And for playing music, that's about it.

Stick to the SE then, I'm sure your provider will be charging you more for the 6, I only upgraded as I was starting to find the screen too small for my worsening eyesight.

TamH70

MIA
If your provider is giving you the 6 for the same price as the SE on your contract, bite their arm off. It's a better phone, and though the lower memory storage would give me pause it sounds like you're not fussed. If they want to charge you more, I'd steer clear.

I would advise that the SE, and indeed 6 are now at the bottom of the IOS upgrade list, and whist both models are going to be supported on IOS 12, I would very much doubt that they will be supported for much longer.

Might be worth biting the bullet and going for a newer model?

MB

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I would advise that the SE, and indeed 6 are now at the bottom of the IOS upgrade list, and whist both models are going to be supported on IOS 12, I would very much doubt that they will be supported for much longer.

Might be worth biting the bullet and going for a newer model?

MB
A good point. I'm running two iPods one seems to have stopped on 9.35 and considers itself up to date.

As long as there are no hidden costs, I would go for it. The 6 is a much better phone than the SE, but you'll need a case because it's slippery as feck in my experience.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As long as there are no hidden costs, I would go for it. The 6 is a much better phone than the SE, but you'll need a case because it's slippery as feck in my experience.
Phones, tablets all covered by the very best special needs cover I can get my hands on. The kids who are waitering in our local restaurant always lift my phone to see what the cover is. One of the chefs came out, brand new model, 2 days old. Fell out of his apron pocket on to the tiled floor. Smashed.

Phones, tablets all covered by the very best special needs cover I can get my hands on.
Smart move. I didn't use my newest phone until I'd got a case for it. Mates laughed at the cheap piece of shite I'd bought - not that I cared, it stopped my phone from getting broken and the screen of their phones were like crazy paving...

Gubmint_Agent

War Hero
I thought the SE was the 6S tech in the 5S casing, but am willing to stand corrected. As others have said, the 6/6S is close to being at the bottom of the pile for upgrades and support as they become older models. Go newer. Does it have to be Apple?

The key thing is the industrial design, more than the electronics. The SE is essentially an iPhone 5 with knobs on. The 5 was a stretched version of the 4, which was a completely new design. So the 4 and 5 are strongly related, but the 6 is a completely different design. The 6's design is basically still current, with the 8. As time goes by, the processors are improved, the screen and battery tech gets better and the camera is improved. But still the same basic design.

The screen on the 6 is significantly larger than the 5. If there's no cost difference, I'd take the 6. It's slimmer too.

I'm a bit odd, I use my phone as a phone and text thing. And for playing music, that's about it.
To be fair unless your SE is suffering battery issues, for the reasons you've stated the SE is fine, nice and light too.

I've got 5s which is similar model and noticed a difference upgrading to a 6s, I guess overall it's a personal thing as long as it functions for what you want & happy.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Did the usual. Talked to the dame, she had a hunt around and dug up,an iPhone8, less per month, same memory. So that looks to be the thing.
Idiot case coming too.
Thanks all.

iphone 6 onwards are thinner and you can destroy them if you sit on them. Also less wieldy in the pocket.

The SE is thicker and more robust. Smaller so it goes in a pocket more easily.

I have a 6 because I got offered a cheap deal on it, but I've found it more cumbersome despite being thinner. SWMBO won't swap her SE for a 6.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
iphone 6 onwards are thinner and you can destroy them if you sit on them. Also less wieldy in the pocket.

The SE is thicker and more robust. Smaller so it goes in a pocket more easily.

I have a 6 because I got offered a cheap deal on it, but I've found it more cumbersome despite being thinner. SWMBO won't swap her SE for a 6.
Hence the case. All the phones go elsewhere as mint, totally unmarked, the cases on the other hand look wrecked. The other good thing is the phone looks totally unremarkable and never gets a second look.

Mates son, living and working as a high flying capitalist pig in London. Myself and his dad always go Christmas shopping together. One list each, get it all in one go.. This particular year he wanted a set of beats headphones.
I tried to talk him out of it, crap headphones etc.
No, that's what he wanted so off we went. These things were walking out the door. Not cheap either.
Off they went, week later, back in London he's going into the underground. Subway in one hand, top of the range phone in the other, headphones on.

Next thing he's sitting on his arse, holding a sub sandwich, phone and headphones gone.

When we heard he was alright otherwise I sent him a set of Sennys

I have a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2 for home listening and a set of mint Momentum 1 folding phones for travel, bought off ebay for £50.

Beats are great if you want to pay for the name, a bit like buying whisky advertised by David Beckham.

I also have a Sandisk MP3 player - so listening to music doesn't flatten the phone battery.

I have a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2 for home listening and a set of mint Momentum 1 folding phones for travel, bought off ebay for £50.

Beats are great if you want to pay for the name, a bit like buying whisky advertised by David Beckham.

I also have a Sandisk MP3 player - so listening to music doesn't flatten the phone battery.
That's sensible advice I reckon. Keep visible kit functional and of little interest or worth to opportunist thieves.
If I had an iphone, I would give it a black gel case and use black cables. A privacy filter for the display might reduce the chances of someone seeing an iphone layout on the screen.

I was looking at some AKG phones which are pretty good sound wise but have AGK plastered across the ear pieces in big letters.

Latest Threads