Worst rifle/pistol you have ever used

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where to begin?

For me, the worst bolt action rifle I ever had the misfortune to fire was the good old Italian M91 carcano carbine with the folding bayonet. Just about everything on the damn thing is resoundingly awful, awkward, stiff and miserable. Failure to make consistent contact with the target frame at 200 m didn't help matters...

pistol-wise, the Ruger M85 was a clunky piece of cast junk. It worked reliably, but it sat miserably in the hand, the trigger was awful, and it was alles über der platz on a figure target at 15 m.

as for revolvers, the 7.5 mm Swiss M 1882 revolver lacks everything you would expect to be present in a Swiss firearm -- accuracy, reasonable ergonomics, and a reasonable trigger. Absolutely miserable.

Anyone else used anything particularly egregious?
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

3. Tanfoglio TA90, basically a copy of the CZ75. I was suckered into buying it after I finished my probationary at the local pistol club. Having been taught during that period by an ex RM using his .45 S+W I was intending to buy a Glock 21 but the owner of the club managed to convince me to go back to 9mm. The Tan was a horrible thing, couldn`t get on with it, had no love for it. The thing used to stovepipe quite regularly, couldn`t hit a barn door and used to jump about in my hand something chronic. Stashed it away in the locker and hired a .45 again and never looked back....until they banned handguns about nine months later. :x
  4. The Enfield No2 Mk1* was total crap
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Managed to discharge it in a safe direction (into the butts no target), was not keen to risk my anatomy with a second round, and neither was the owner :D

I would be amazed if it was useful beyond a few yards
  6. Was it not designed as an assassination tool only; ie point blank?
  7. Worst rifle is probably a toss up between a Magtech bolt action 22RF that struggled to shoot one inch groups at 20 yards and a Browning/FN self loading takedown 22RF that fell apart at the slightest excuse.

Pistols? It was a good while back - I was never overly fond of the Browning Buckmark but it wasn't really particularly bad, just not to my taste. I don't recall any particularly bad pistols. I only had experience of a few and then they were banned.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It would still be possible to miss IMO......especially for someone who is not used to firing handguns :D
  9. And the Webley .22 single shot target pistol we had ar junior Leaders
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Better hope he went down first time - reloading speed is not a design feature....
  11. I nominate the No 8 as used by the Cadets as the worst rifle, accuracy is abysmal. The worst pistol I have ever fired was a well worn CZ75, a Fig 11 at 25 mts had a good chance of survival, even a Service issue Browning could get all the shots on at that range.
  12. we had half a dozen no.8's at school which were very nearly as good as the Anschützes, but were not as easy to shoot due to the shorter sight radius and heavier trigger.
  13. My first rifle was a .22 BSA Century about 100 years old when my dad bought it for me, then I saved up and got an Anschutz 64 , at Junior Leaders we had to use No8s until they got us some new BSA Martini Internationals. But I always got on OK with the Mk8
  14. Definately with Stoats on the Carcano.. even the rifle version is dire! I have to admit that the only thing that makes me wonder about the Kennedy assassination is "Why did he use a Carcano???"

Most carbines using full power rounds are deeply unpleasant. The Mosin Nagant carbine is really nasty and even the K 98 is not as nice as the Geweher.. Must be something to do with the "No Sense - No Pain" with Cav soldiers..?

WW2 Jap stuff is pretty horrid as well.. The Nambu alway took the skin off the back of my hand...

Although I like the look of P08 Lugers, I was never that happy shooting them, weight all wrong and horrible triggers.

As to modern stuff, I think a lot of the designs lack soul.. Not that taken with AR designs, they look nice , but the basic concept is flawed. Any gun that goes "Boinng.." when you fire it is a bit suspect IMHO...

I do like the Accuracy International rifles. They are honest and do what they say on the tin, and I respect this.

...but the rifle I REALLY hate is the Ruger 10/22...

The Chav of the gun scene....

Nasty cheap clunky horrid Ugh Ugh Ugh....

Make it go away pleaaaase!
  15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'The Liberator was replaced with the Deer gun in 1964 when a modernized equivalent was designed for possible use in Vietnam [1]. This was because the CIA needed a weapon of this type, and most Liberators had been scrapped after WWII. The Deer Gun was chambered for 9x19mm Parabellum and was loaded by unscrewing the barrel and inserting a round to fire.'

going slightly off topic, but considering the antipathy felt for US forces and the number of insurgents, wouldnt making a weapon like this available in a Vietnam-type situation be incredibly counterproductive?