Worst Piece of Basic Kit?

What was the worst piece of basic kit you were issued when you first joined up?

For a start I'll propose shirts, hairy. When I think of all the elastoplast I bought to prevent my nipples being sanded away... :oops:

58 Pat water bottle pouch, that shrunk as soon as water bottle was taken out!!

Puttees?

offhand said:
Large pack and kidney pouches!
I'll agree with that and raise you "Liner Sleeping bag(Green Nylon, useless for the use of)"!

Buttmaster General said:
Drawers Cellular
Known to us as 'Jungle Jims'. They made good swimming trunks if you sewed up the fly.

Volunteer said:
+1 Shirts hairy, defo!
Take it you never got one "worn in" properly then, if you washed them in dreft for the first few times, they actually became quite soft and took a better crease, ok the first 20 or so wears were like putting on a scotchbrite sweatshirt, but after that....fine..

Blue/GreenJob said:
Volunteer said:
+1 Shirts hairy, defo!
Take it you never got one "worn in" properly then, if you washed them in dreft for the first few times, they actually became quite soft and took a better crease, ok the first 20 or so wears were like putting on a scotchbrite sweatshirt, but after that....fine..
No mate, never did. :( Those itching shirts used to send me mental especially on a long sweaty tab. Fortunately, after basic my unit tended to wear No 2 shirts in barracks. :D

taffplod said:
Button stick for feck sake who used one of those.
Don't recall ever using it but still had to polish the fecker daily. Still got mine, how sad is that? :oops:

White PT vest. Never wore it, just looked good in locker inspections.
Probably been mentioned on here; packing list for CEMO, amount of rubbish you had to pack.

pongo6863 said:
Buttmaster General said:
Drawers Cellular
Known to us as 'Jungle Jims'. They made good swimming trunks if you sewed up the fly.
put on back to front saved time :wink:

Red PT vest. Seemed ok when issued new, but on first wash inverted its dimensions to ten inches long and thirty inches wide - whilst staining everything else in the wash a brilliant pink colour.....