Worst PC - Microsoft Surface

Work oppo's partner bought one of these a few months ago from Currys when it was on offer.

Turns out that she paid just shy of £700 and it HAS 4gb of RAM &128gb ssd. This has proven a problem as it's slow when she has a few apps open and she wants a bigger SSD.

She took it into a local computer shop who sent her away saying that the Surface is impossible to upgrade as it's "sealed for life" and the only way she can upgrade is to buy a new one for £1,200.

Needless to say she is pretty p!ssed and went online to check.

Turns out the "surface" is sealed for life and the SSD and RAM are soldered in.

So like a mac only running crappy Win10

Last edited:
I understand the interjection of the following is the appropriate response in these situations:

lol

I had a surface top end one about 2 years ago. I lasted about 3 months with it till I sold it at a big loss.
All the shit bits of windows running on a tablet that was way less comfortable to hold than an ipad.

Work oppo's partner bought one of these a few months ago from Currys when it was on offer.

Turns out that she paid just shy of £700 and it HAS 4gb of RAM &128gb ssd. This has proven a problem as it's slow when she has a few apps open and she wants a bigger SSD.

She took it into a local computer shop who sent her away saying that the Surface is impossible to upgrade as it's "sealed for life" and the only way she can upgrade is to buy a new one for £1,200.

Needless to say she is pretty p!ssed and went online to check.

So like a mac only running crappy Win10
You know the SOP's, no photo no helpy

Had one for 6 years now, mind you mine has 8gb of ram which is the minimum I thought I could get away with on the move and still run Visual Studio and Photoshop

Don't need one for grunt work as I have my pick of 4 machines at home for more demanding stuff

It's never crashed on me, the keyboard was a pain initially but driver updates soon put any teething troubles to bed, and updates have been plain sailing

For me it just boots up in an instance, and just works...well apart from the time the missus borrowed it, wedged it between some art books and oh what a surprise it must have had a broken screen when I gave it to her the dozy bint....thank goodness it was insured

Unfortunately both her and my oppo [her other half] have history of buying crap computers.

Despite me being the computer literate one in the office, they decided not to ask my opinion. For £250 less she could have had an equivalent Leonovo Yoga which would have worked fine and been upgradable.

But she has taken an evening course in digital art and read the Microsoft B/S about being able to use a pen to do drawings on the screen. Indeed, it's fine for sketches, but once you start getting complicated "art" on the screen it uses lots of RAM and the screen refresh starts to slow down.

Her art software recommends 64bit Win 10 and at least 8GB of RAM and a Core i5.

She has been trying to flog it but no-one wants it for more than £250 so she will make a huge loss on a machine that's only a few months old.

Not sure about the latest pro but I did have to dismantle an early one which packed up after being submerged and I needed the SSD out as it wasn't backed up.

Heat gun to melt the glued frame, micro drivers to remove various daughter boards, unclip the SSD.

Apparently it can be reassembled, I just got a USB adapter for the SSD and copied it onto my new pro.

YouTube has a few instructional videos.

Computer shop wouldn't touch it as it was under warranty and there might well be some damage to the casing when they took it apart. Evidently the MS website says that it is "not user upgradable".

Not sure about the latest pro but I did have to dismantle an early one which packed up after being submerged and I needed the SSD out as it wasn't backed up.

Heat gun to melt the glued frame, micro drivers to remove various daughter boards, unclip the SSD.

Apparently it can be reassembled, I just got a USB adapter for the SSD and copied it onto my new pro.

YouTube has a few instructional videos.
Series 2? As above iFixit: 5 and later are unrepairable/upgradeable

Perhaps an opportunity for ACTronics, BBA etc to go beyond automotive

cowgoesmoo

Clanker
OTOH I think they're not bad at all for what they are, just significantly over priced. The fact that she bought something that wasn't suitable for what she planned to use it for doesn't make it a bad product.

I have the teeny Pro 6. It was a freebie from MSFT. When the battery gets a bit shagged I’ll probably try and break into it and tinker a bit.

For me the biggest issue is 8.1 and those awful tiles; you can’t make the darned things go away completely.

Latest Threads