• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Worst non-fiction war film

#1
Does anyone have a "non-fiction" account of war which has been put into the big screen that is so horrendously crap it deserves a mention?

I'll start with Bravo Two Zero, mainly all that gung-honess, ie. way they pepperpot forwards at 2 heavily armoured troops carriers.
 
#2
this has probably been hashed to death in the Film and Artsy Forum, but the all time number one crap film has to be U-571..real event so fictionalized as to be useless... follow that with Harrison Ford trying to sound Russkie in K-9 WidowMaker...
 
#4
jockmod69 said:
''ZULU''

Inaccurate, Officer-centrict utter claptrap.

That should set the cat amongst the pidgeons!! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Fcuk off!

My great-great grandfather was killed there and he says it's very accurate, especially the fly-the-flag singing!



(My poor deluded family stll keep a photo of CSgt Frank Bourne in the living room, believing he was GGGrandad, whereas he was actually a spear chucker in the Left Flank of the 1st Zulu Bulls Horn Batallion :wink: - OK, he was really a private in the 24th)
 
#8
VanHelsing said:
I suppose we can rule out all the Septic War Movies......They're All Fiction
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Many of their WW2 films have the same theme, how us poor allies could not have managed without Uncle Sam and how heroic and butch they all are :slow:
 
#9
Hollywood wanted to make a film about Stalingrad.
Until someone pointed out that no Americans were there, & that the Russians managed very well on their own thank you very much.
 
#10
Funny how they've never made a film about Kasserine pass...

There should be a British funded one! 'U-571, The Battle of Britain scenes in Pearl Harbour, Saving Private ryan-paybacks a b1tch!'
 
#11
Miner said:
Hollywood wanted to make a film about Stalingrad.
Until someone pointed out that no Americans were there, & that the Russians managed very well on their own thank you very much.
"Enemy at the Gates" mean anything to you
 
#12
Bradstyley said:
Funny how they've never made a film about Kasserine pass...
It's briefly portrayed at the beginning of Patton but, of course, the defeat was the fault of the "British" commander and lack of British air support.
 
#14
tropper66 said:
Miner said:
Hollywood wanted to make a film about Stalingrad.
Until someone pointed out that no Americans were there, & that the Russians managed very well on their own thank you very much.
"Enemy at the Gates" mean anything to you
I was joking about Hollywoods "re-writing" of history, & how they saved the world from dinosaurs, aliens, Bonaparte, Ghengis Khan, the Moors, & the Spanish Armada. :roll:
 
#15
PsyWar.Org said:
Bradstyley said:
Funny how they've never made a film about Kasserine pass...
It's briefly portrayed at the beginning of Patton but, of course, the defeat was the fault of the "British" commander and lack of British air support.
Also briefly seen in "The Big Red One".
 
#16
Yeah, a film about Kasserine Pass, not a film about Patton that gives a very short and rather innacurate portrayal of events at Kasserine Pass! Again, the War of 1812, they don't dwell on that one too much either...and I actually like yanks in the main, they're just so dishonest about history!
 
#17
Miner said:
PsyWar.Org said:
Bradstyley said:
Funny how they've never made a film about Kasserine pass...
It's briefly portrayed at the beginning of Patton but, of course, the defeat was the fault of the "British" commander and lack of British air support.
Also briefly seen in "The Big Red One".
Patton blamed the Brits for everything, but in the real world Kasserine was due to crap Septic leadership, in fact 26 Armoured Brigade, a British unit just about saved the day with there attack at Thalam and even though the got kicked to crap they releived the pressure on US units
 
#18
Miner said:
tropper66 said:
Miner said:
Hollywood wanted to make a film about Stalingrad.
Until someone pointed out that no Americans were there, & that the Russians managed very well on their own thank you very much.
"Enemy at the Gates" mean anything to you
I was joking about Hollywoods "re-writing" of history, & how they saved the world from dinosaurs, aliens, Bonaparte, Ghengis Khan, the Moors, & the Spanish Armada. :roll:
Plus the fact that 'Enemy at the Gates' was a european made film and all the americans in it played Nazis!
 
#19
tropper66 said:
Miner said:
PsyWar.Org said:
Bradstyley said:
Funny how they've never made a film about Kasserine pass...
It's briefly portrayed at the beginning of Patton but, of course, the defeat was the fault of the "British" commander and lack of British air support.
Also briefly seen in "The Big Red One".
Patton blamed the Brits for everything, but in the real world Kasserine was due to crap Septic leadership, in fact 26 Armoured Brigade, a British unit just about saved the day with there attack at Thalam and even though the got kicked to crap they releived the pressure on US units
Patton was a great general but also a total gloryhound, his and Bradley's hate campaign against monty was based more on resentment of having to share the glory then any cogent criticism of his generalship...
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#20
Can I just cite 'Objective Burma' starring Eroll Flynn as an honest and totally accurate of the war in Burma, and how much the American input helped and, indeed, saved the day. Without their help and bravery, not to mention sheer fighting ability, who knows what may have happened?
 

Latest Threads