Worst jobs on a hot day like today.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Lumber-jacking.
When I ran a forestry business back in the early 80's, we used to start at 05:00 or earlier & be in the pub by 13:30 if the weather was hot, then a siesta from 16:00 to 19:00, eat, back in the pub till kicking out time, 4 hours kip then start again.
No way could anyone be productive with a chainsaw once the afternoon heat built up.
I used to shove a gallon container of orange squash mixed with oral rehydrate in the freezer to take with me & it was usually defrosted & drank before noon.

Those were the days: 6,000kcal daily & 12st 10lbs with no spare flab anywhere...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lumber-jacking.
When I ran a forestry business back in the early 80's, we used to start at 05:00 or earlier & be in the pub by 13:30 if the weather was hot, then a siesta from 16:00 to 19:00, eat, back in the pub till kicking out time, 4 hours kip then start again.
No way could anyone be productive with a chainsaw once the afternoon heat built up.
I used to shove a gallon container of orange squash mixed with oral rehydrate in the freezer to take with me & it was usually defrosted & drank before noon.

Those were the days: 6,000kcal daily & 12st 10lbs with no spare flab anywhere...
Did you wear suspenders & a bra, just asking

As an Aussie, I will always take my hat off to the Fire Brigade for having to face shit like this in the middle of an Aussie summer on 40+ degree days
Especially when you remember that the Country Fire Service, Rural Fire Service etc are all volunteers. them, I struggled doing Surf Life saving patrols on 40 degree days.

As an Aussie, I will always take my hat off to the Fire Brigade for having to face shit like this in the middle of an Aussie summer on 40+ degree days
Thanks for reminding me that mate will be there in about 2 months...at least it will be relatively cold when I get there...

Thanks for reminding me that mate will be there in about 2 months...at least it will be relatively cold when I get there...
You kidding?

Still officially in Winter, today is heading for 20 degrees. Still officially in drought conditions as well.

Spring doesn't start till September.

You kidding?

Still officially in Winter, today is heading for 20 degrees. Still officially in drought conditions as well.

Spring doesn't start till September.
Early September is when I will get there...and Melbourne is sort of cold anyways....I had to buy a jacket in the middle of summer..

I’m working at Majnoon oil field in Southern Iraq. The temperature today sat at 48°c for around six hours. According to my Apple Watch, I wandered just over 13km during that period - wearing flameproof coveralls, hi-viz and steel toe-capped boots. No frigging wonder I’ve still got a dehydration induced headache at 2300hrs.

FML
Feck me, would have thought the Elf Of Safety would have come to the rescue at some stage.

Is it always that bad?

Ah. That would explain many things..

Anyhoo antipsychotics, antidepressants, sedatives & the like apparently can bugger up perception of heat.

Medic friend of mine tells me that in hotter parts of the world death rates amongst unsupervised psychiatric patents is known to consistently ramp up in summer.

Wearing wholly inappropriate clothing so core temperature zooms up but they just can't tell and kark it.
Step son is autistic.
We'd spend the cooler months telling him to shut doors behind him which he'd 'get' as soon as it was that point where you need the house cooling down we'd be telling him to leave them open.
She has to hide his coat when its hot or he'll wear it as his brain just doesn't process it.

Had hot fat splashed up his arm a few years back at work, the supposed first aider told him it was fine and 'that's what happens in kitchens' so he came home went to bed and showed us the 2nd degree partial thickness burn over his whole forearm late next morning. Needless to say it was off to A&E and lucky not to need skin grafts but, no sense, no feeling. He was told it didn't hurt, so it didn't .

This one didn’t get his usual hour+ bimble either. The mercury hit 34.5C this afternoon. Sod that, we both agreed!
View attachment 405767
Sat on a flight deck waiting for pax, 47 deg outside, over 50 in the aircraft. Even hotter when you first open the doors and hop in to remove the sun shields.

34.5 deg C? Pshaw! It is for to laugh.

ETA:- Our local fire crews are in even worse conditions. All togged up in heavy fireproof shit, helmets and gloves while we taxi out and go. They're OK with it though. Enjoy the heat and start pissing and moaning the minute it drops below 25 deg, togged out in parkas with just the nose showing when it drops below 20 overnight in December.

The locals really don't like the cold. Driver always acts dumb when you ask for the aircon to be turned on/up and you end up with a lukewarm whisper of a breeze unless you lean over and do it yourself, whereupon they open all the windows.

Last edited:
Amazingly I have seen people with big coats, hoodies, even saw two people wearing woolly hats. WTF is that all about.
Fashion. Same retards who get the vapours when people wear Crocs or knock offs thereof.

wheel

LE
...someone out on the rob? Two feckless yoof cycled down my street this afternoon at full tilt in the blazing heat.... head to toe in black, including gloves and a hoodie pulled real tight around their heads so their mouths were covered up... "mad bastards "I thought... then a few minutes later the nee-naws come whizzing past with PC Plod in hot pursuit.

Burglarising is made easier when people leave their windows open in this weather.
People who use American made up words.
Burglary old bean.

Latest Threads