Worst firearm ergonomic choices

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Jul 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aside from the random scattering of controls around the SA80 for manufacturing convenience, here's a couple of my favourite ergonomic design choices:

Kar98k - bend in bolt handle obscures the sights when cycling.
    Kar98k - rearsight design presents a small notch in a big notch - guaranteed to cause high shots under stress.
    Springfield 03A3 - wimpy little foresight that's very difficult to pick up quickly through the apeture
    P90 - left thumb goes through trigger guard. Genius! What could possibly go wrong?
    Steyr AUG - pistol grip far too far forward; front grip too far back. Like a bloody hammerdrill.
    MP5 telescoping stock - erm, how the hell do you get vaguely comfortable with that?

2. SLR- To long and heavy. Bolt remained forward on a empty mag leading to dead man click. No automatic capability. 20 rnd mag insufficient for sustained firefights.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lol so how many of these firefights were you involved in where you found not having full auto a liability?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Though I've never used it in anger, full auto is useful at close quarters and for room clearances. I have seen a car stopped at a VCP using an SA80 on full auto.

5. I found the Steyr ok. I suppose it would depend on the size of the firer?

• Like Like x 1
  6. None but then I never used a black powder muzzle loader either And I am prepared to bet it would be a significant disadvantage. Used a SA80 plenty and found it just the job.

7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

So you've only used one weapon, never fired a shot in anger and yet lucky us are given the benefit of your great wisdom?

Truly we are blessed!!

Tell you what - why don't you go and find out how many countries use for example the SA80?

Then go and find out how many countries decided to go with the FN-FAL.

Let us know what you come up with.

8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

FN FAL is different to the SLR. Former does have auto.

How many countries used the SLR?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have used many weapons but only ever issued one like nearly everyone else I know. I have fired shots in anger did you ever use the SLR in contact?

As pointed out a FN FAL is not a SLR. The fact that a load of child soldiers in Africa use a SLR is hardly a triumph.

Just admit that the collective dampness about the SLR on this site is simply a mass of dribbling of ex cold war warriors justifying their years guarding Celle from....... well no one it turned out.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Or right thumb as it designed to be ambidextrous:)

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Do you know, I'm really glad that during my time with the Superb Long Rifle, all we ever had to do was guard Celle from an imaginary enemy! So pleased none of us had to carry or use that weapon in places like Malaya, Borneo, Aden, Radfan, Oman, Ulster, Cyprus, or indeed anywhere, other than Celle.
    And how did we manage with only a 20 round mag, a bolt that didn't hold open and no auto. I realise that being able to count to twenty is a positive disadvantage nowadays, but it was just our handicap.

• Like Like x 8
  12. As a south-paw I find just about everything ergonomically troublesome and whilst I'm on about it, hot linseed oil doesn't seem to work too well on these modern synthetic stocks.

Bah humbug.

B

• Like Like x 1
  13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

BUT, before the SLR, a rifle with only 5 rounds magazine and hand operated bolt did rather well in France, Egypt, Libya, ALgeria, Sicily, Sardinia, Italy, France, Germany, Malaya, Burma and so on.

• Like Like x 2
  14. For sporting use, fullbore sound moderators. Unbalance your rifle, add a pound or two more crap to cart about, and are Bambi's mates really going to fail to notice the supersonic crack of the round, even if the weapon is quieted by a few decibels?

15. And before that it fired one .50 ball was muzzle loaded and did just fine in Flanders, Spain, France, Portugal, India, Canada, America, Burma, Gibraltar etc etc etc