Worst atrocities in world history

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alib, Oct 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In The Guardian Steven Pinker: fighting talk from the prophet of peace has a table of atrocities.

Ranked No 1 on the naughty step is the An Lushan Rebellion, had to look that up, Tang Dynasty affair. That is Followed by the Mongols and the Arab slave trade. The famine prone Raj gets rank as 12th just pipped by Maoist China and the Brits get a dishonorable mention along with The Cousins for the Atlantic Slave trade and practically wiping out the Red Injuns. WWII gets in at 9th, WWI at 16th but we can blame the Germans for those.

I'm shocked there is no mention of the Paddicaust.

This a little questionable as the time spans of these events isn't really considered but China does seem to be most prone to building a pile of skulls.
  2. No surprises there, as the Chinese appear to value life so little.
    No sign of Dale farm. Has anyone told the UN?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Does Pol Pot feature?
  4. Nah he is way down the scale with only 1mil,,the year zero etc etc
  5. My immediate thought was, not another go at the Labour Party? Certainly one of the worst attrocities in recent history.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. New Labour's reign of terror?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. It says a lot about my history lessons at school when I have to look at wikipedia for some of the worst brutalities that ever happened
    • Like Like x 1
  8. If it's the same Steven Pinker he's got a new book out explaining how we're get less violent as a species, so I guess the bias will be against ancient history.

....seems it's all in the link.

I dunno that I agree, maybe we just have more to lose & less to gain than ever before?
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

It's the Guardian of course but I think famines were probably always endemic in India and the question is whether we had the means to do much about them. I understand the consequences of farmers switching to a cash crop (jute) but doubt that famine was an INTENDED consequence.

Local efforts to ensure supply later include (for instance) the (by then independent) Govt of Ceylon ordering tea farmers to put 1/3 of their acreage under food crops but rice didn't do very well on tea slopes.
  10. 20 million Slavs in World War 2 has got to be up there.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Suprised that there's no mention of the Imperial Japanese adventure holiday in China/Manchuria/Korea.
  12. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 6
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Thick ***** even forgot his puppett's.
    • Like Like x 5
  14. The EU
    Blair becoming PM...then Brown
    • Like Like x 2
  15. QAuote "Exile1" "Does Pol Pot feature?"
    Hmmm... but as a percentage of the then population it would put him at or near, the top "In 1975 when the Khmer Rouge took power, it was estimated at 7.3 million. Of this total population an estimated one million to two million reportedly died between 1975 and 1978! , Thats between 13% & 27% of the population!
    He also conveniently misses out the massacre of up to 2 million Armenians in Turkey at the beginning of the 20th C!
    His references to the Slave trade seems to miss this "Historians estimate that between 10 and 18 million Africans were enslaved by Arab slave traders and taken across the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, and Sahara desert between 650 and 1900. It has been estimated up to 7 out 10 slaves died soon after. The Slave trade also continued in this area up to the end of the 20th C!"