Worst (and Best) Jobs After Leaving The Army

How much of the £325k is left?
It was invested pretty wisely, (I chose, amongst other things, buying a few property leases that have returned my investment several fold and continue to bring in income) and I don’t have to worry about things much these days as I was doing ok to start with. The lottery sent a team of advisors to help give us pointers on investments etc. that lasted a few days and was extremely useful.

One lad was 18 years old and had been with us only a few weeks, he bought a house for cash and a second hand MR2. :) The accounts staff were all in it and all were late 50’s, they did the sums and resigned en masse which caused a bit of a crisis for the firm! :-D

Another guy was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour 2 months after the win, he lived another 2 months after that.

It was only the second week of ‘the syndicate’, as the week before was iirc the biggest jackpot in Euro millions history at that time, and one of the girls in the office suggested we have a go. I think 25 or 26 people chose to, but it came to nothing. The next week only 16 decided to have another go, no record jackpot and several said they were already in other syndicates down the pub/at the cricket club/ working men’s club etc.

Therefore it was a little awkward when we all turned into work after the win had been ratified and to meet the Lotto team. Some of the ones who missed out were stoical and wished us all the best, whilst obviously wishing they had stayed in, but the best was the sales office manager (who was universally despised by all) who also declined to continue. For 2 days he arrived at work early, locked himself in his office, blinds drawn, and left via the staff kitchen fire escape door to avoid walking through the office. That drew much merriment all around from ALL the staff, lotto winners or not.

So, not a massive win, but nice enough to ensure that a good few people could afford to ease up a bit and take life a little easier without so many of the usual financial worries the average person has to deal with. It has helped give me the ability to avail myself of some of the things in life that bring me great pleasure, this recent reckless indulgence being one of them.

A8DE0E1D-61E8-4822-8B3B-9A3FA7D652F5.jpeg

Last edited:
I posted before about getting done for GBH and getting discharged from the Army when I got sentenced.

I have been working as a kitchen porter for the last month and cant stand it. The manader is only the same age as me but thinjks he is God and treats me like a piece of shit. I got a formal warning yesterday and have never been so tempted to deck the twat. If the work was alright I could take it but its just the same thing all day and the 2 other lads I work with dont even speak English. Some of the other lads who work there are sound but even if you have 5 mins to have a chat he wants us still in the kitchen washing a floor or something.

Id love to tell him to f""" the job but dont want to as I want to keep onside with my Probation Officer as she is trying to get me taken on as ab apprentice and it wouldnt look good to be out of a job in a month. I also have a couple of things Ive applied for and waiting to hear back.

Probably some pople who left when they were ready to had things all organised and went into a job that really suited them so just thought Id ask about jobs after the Armt - good and bad
Going around threatening to deck the world is not going to fix your life.

You need to take a deep breath and look at where you are NOW and decide where you want to be in 5 years, and in 10 years.

The NOW being where you put yourself. No one else, you, you got yourself where you are, so you can get yourself out.

It is not going to be easy and will take time and effort from you.

Yes you have a shite job, its fucking better than being in nick though.

Yes your PO will try and help, remember she has other 'clients' too and is not your exclusive job searcher. Your PO's job is to help get you through your probation and monitor you - thats help, not fix it, make it go away and sort it out, help. You need to put the work in too.

Get yourself on evening classes for one of the trades. Someone mentioned it above. Plastering, chippy, sparky, bricky, they can easily pull a grand a week when trained and experienced............and you are done in 12 months or so with qualification in your back pocket.

Word of advice: Most of us old farts on here were squaddies, privates, did basic training, got in the shit, pulled strokes, and moved on with no real harm or damage. A fair few of us have done well for ourselves, probably better than we ever thought possible. But, we did not get successful by threatening to deck everyone who looked at us wrong. As an employee you need to listen to your manager and when he says jump you ask how high - eventually he will trust you enough to manage yourself and leave you alone if you prove you are a valuable employee. In business you treat customers as if they are the king or queen, because if you piss off a customer they will not come back.

If I were you I'd go do plastering or brickying. You can go self employed - just be nice to customers - and you can be making decent money. I did the 6 month evening plastering course in Leicester College & the 6 month bricky course in Rugby College which is now part of WCG.

Its in your hands, carry on being a dick, or give yourself a talking to and get sorted.

Best job was as a solicitor for a restaurant chain, every so often one of the kitchen plebs would get threaders with getting paid ****-all for working like a slave and deck one of our gobby ******** kitchen managers. It was my job to get rid of them with minimum fuss and cost to the company, if I could get them a custodial then I got a bonus.

My worst job was a Parole Officer, gobby punchy bellends who had learned nothing from being locked up would bore me with their self-entitled woe-is-me attitude. I just signed their paperwork with a smile, then went home to my massive 6 Bedroom detached house for a blow job off my model wife who earns £1m per annum. This got me through the long days.

Hows things going for you @95pd ?
Thats f*ck all.

Me and my mate Barry learned to speak Polish so we don't have to talk to the new member of our kitchen porter team...

...he's right miserable twat.

It was invested pretty wisely, (I chose, amongst other things, buying a few property leases that have returned my investment several fold and continue to bring in income) and I don’t have to worry about things much these days as I was doing ok to start with. The lottery sent a team of advisors to help give us pointers on investments etc. that lasted a few days and was extremely useful.
No envy here.
Good man for using it wisely.
Meant to be really.

You really should've applied for a position at Google.
Gob off like that again and you'll be looking for a job as a human lampshade.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@95pd - your best bet with be to take the sensible advice given by others on here. Work is work, it may be shit work but at least you have the self-respect not to sponge off the government.
Remember this, nobody owes you a living and even less people owe you a job. Like most of us, suck it up and move on. The majority of us started at the bottom, some of us chose to move up. You control your life, but being the big hard-nosed knob who wants to punch everyone is going to get you few mates and a lot of enemies.
Respect others and they will start to respect you!

When I left school my first job was working for a guy that made pet food.One of my first jobs there was to skin ten tonnes of rabbit heads not rabbits just the heads.Nothing I have had to do has ever felt that bad since then.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The worst job I ever had, was picking up all the bogies what Winston Churchill gobbed out! He was a secret bogier was Winnie!

When I left school my first job was working for a guy that made pet food.One of my first jobs there was to skin ten tonnes of rabbit heads not rabbits just the heads.Nothing I have had to do has ever felt that bad since then.
Hope you didn't tell the chicks you were trying to pick up that you were doing that!

Fill the cnut in, I bet he thinks he's well tasty with his wnaking spanners.
You need to be More careful, the last time you talked like this you nearly got your arse handed to you on a plate by some ruffian.