Worst Airport in the World?

World's worst airport

• Total voters
Main gear on one side removed and changed after it got damaged. It's the nice thing about DHC products. Tough and relatively easy to work on. A colleague damaged the main wheel and gear leg of a Twotter going over an AP mine in Moz on landing. Just added power and flew it out while it was still rolling, got back to base and did a bit of a messy landing there on the damaged rim and tyre. They changed the gear leg, rim and tyre and it was flying again in a couple of days.

Luxor was about the same in 2000/2001 ( dis-remember which), lots of scrapped Mig 21s off to the side of the runway, HAS's with the doors completely covered in sand, and all the FOD in the world on the aprons and taxiways. We pulled into our parking position, and were greeted by a bunch of wannabe Rambos, all competing for the prize of having the most magazines taped together for their rusted AK47s. The arrival area was furnished in early Salvation Army Thriftshop rejects. Not a great first impression.
Always a good laugh. Seen seven, eight, up to ten taped together, alternating between back and forward facing. Apart from the single handed juggle to turn them round to change mags, remembering which is empty and which is full was probably beyond the room temperature IQ, not to mention the sheer weight of the collection of shit hanging out the arse of the weapon.

Doesn't really matter, I suppose. Few bother with aiming and the grab at the trigger negates that in any case. Full auto gangsta stylee seems to be all the rage. Hollywood, the gift that keeps on giving...

Last edited:
It's not by any means a contender for worst airport in the world but I was shocked in February this year when I drove up to Belfast Intl from Dublin to get a cheap flight to Manchester. It looked exactly the same (even the flaking blue paint on the doors) as the first time I flew in there on posting to HQNI & 15th Signal Regiment in August 1998. I had a real sense of Deja-Vu. I also managed to pick up 3 (NI) penalty points & a GBP 60.00 fine for speeding on the A1 near Banbridge.
That's progress, the RUC used to tell drivers to go as fast as possible through that part of the province.

That aircraft (replica) was recoloured and is falling apart out the back of the airport (hotel). Will take pictures and post it here tomorrow
Some of the aircraft have been moved/scrapped past few months, but here is what is in Speke Airport now. There are a lot of scrap/parts, especially engines lying about too
IMG_20200810_113839301.jpg
IMG_20200810_113326974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200810_113750632.jpg
IMG_20200810_113633614_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200810_113602268_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200810_113432730_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200810_113406289_HDR.jpg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Is that a meteor?
When I was about twelve I got taken to visit a Meteor in the back garden (more or less, it was decades ago) of someone who lived on the Wirral, near my grandparents who arranged the visit. I wonder if this is the same airframe? [Edit: The Wirral is not too far from Speke Airport, or whatever they call it these days].

Senior daughter reckons Miami International is the worst she's ever been to mainly because of the TSA nazi's who, she claims, go out of their way to make sure you miss your connecting flight. She was flying back to UK from Honduras and had a five hour stop over at Miami before her flight to Heathrow. The flight from Honduras arrived on time and she still missed her connecting flight because these apes were feckn around every passenger passing through that day. Fortunately, the airline (Delta) managed to get her on a flight via Boston and she arrived back in the UK nearly 18 hours late. She reckons Tegucigalpa is the scariest, not because of the approach for landing, but the knife wielding locals who hang around the airport.

I agree with her about Miami International. It's like they rounded up all the people in the city who couldn't be trained to flip burgers, gave them guns and badges and employed them as TSAs at the airport.

Is that a meteor?
When I was about twelve I got taken to visit a Meteor in the back garden (more or less, it was decades ago) of someone who lived on the Wirral, near my grandparents who arranged the visit. I wonder if this is the same airframe? [Edit: The Wirral is not too far from Speke Airport, or whatever they call it these days].
Yes, A Gloster Meteor. Apparently it's a local aircraft group that "stores" the collection there

This is list of UK Meteors in existance, including one in Hooton (formerly RAF Hooton) in Wirral

T.7 G-BWMF painted as WA591 in 2013
Airworthy

Meteor T.7 WA638 used by Martin-Baker for ejection seat development: non-standard canopy and F.8 tail. 2008
Stored or under restoration
  • Meteor T.7 WF877 is stored at Duxford, Cambridgeshire.[71]
  • Meteor T.7 WS103 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's reserve collection is stored at Cobham Hall, Yeovilton, Somerset.[72]
  • Meteor NF.14 WS807 of the Jet Age Museum is stored at Gloucestershire Airport.[73]
  • Meteor TT.20 WM292 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's reserve collection is stored at Cobham Hall, Yeovilton, Somerset.[72]
  • Meteor NF.11 WM167 of the Classic British Jets Collection is being restored to airworthy condition at Bruntingthorpe after making its last flight on 2 January 2019[citation needed]
On display

Meteor T.7 VZ638 at the Gatwick Aviation Museum in 2008.

Meteor T.7 VZ634 at the Newark Air Museum in 2006.

Meteor NF.14 WS739 at the Newark Air Museum in 2006.

Oyibo

LE
Yes, A Gloster Meteor. Apparently it's a local aircraft group that "stores" the collection there

This is list of UK Meteors in existance, including one in Hooton (formerly RAF Hooton) in Wirral

T.7 G-BWMF painted as WA591 in 2013
Airworthy

Meteor T.7 WA638 used by Martin-Baker for ejection seat development: non-standard canopy and F.8 tail. 2008
Stored or under restoration
  • Meteor T.7 WF877 is stored at Duxford, Cambridgeshire.[71]
  • Meteor T.7 WS103 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's reserve collection is stored at Cobham Hall, Yeovilton, Somerset.[72]
  • Meteor NF.14 WS807 of the Jet Age Museum is stored at Gloucestershire Airport.[73]
  • Meteor TT.20 WM292 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's reserve collection is stored at Cobham Hall, Yeovilton, Somerset.[72]
  • Meteor NF.11 WM167 of the Classic British Jets Collection is being restored to airworthy condition at Bruntingthorpe after making its last flight on 2 January 2019[citation needed]
On display

Meteor T.7 VZ638 at the Gatwick Aviation Museum in 2008.

Meteor T.7 VZ634 at the Newark Air Museum in 2006.

Meteor NF.14 WS739 at the Newark Air Museum in 2006.
I must admit, that if I rocked up at a shitty airport and a dodgy bloke said, "Mr Oyibo, I'm sorry. You must fly in one of these." I would cum in my pants. Repeatedly.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I must admit, that if I rocked up at a shitty airport and a dodgy bloke said, "Mr Oyibo, I'm sorry. You must fly in one of these." I would cum in my pants. Repeatedly.
You can sit in one (sort of it's just the cockpit) at the Coventry air Museum. Young master Helm had to be crowbarred out of it when we went after much dakka dakka noise making.

If not mentioned already (and how not), I propose Geneva Airport.

Grey, bleak, dark, staffed with dour humourless Swiss. Full of insanely expensive watches and coffee shops that would empty a savings account. Total shit hole.

Sorry, place de merde.

Oyibo

LE

Grey, bleak, dark, staffed with dour humourless Swiss. Full of insanely expensive watches and coffee shops that would empty a savings account. Total shit hole.

Sorry, place de merde.
Don't go there on changeover day (Saturday) for package ski holidays - absolutely chocca.

Geneva's my local airport, and I have no idea how many times I've been through it (lots). I know what you mean about it, but I reckon it's okay. It does help to have had acclimatisation training for Swiss prices though.

Sorry, place de merde.
Geneva airport for me is a classic example of why there’s no glamour in air travel any more.

It’s a railway station with planes. Functional but grey.

Oyibo

LE
Geneva airport for me is a classic example of why there’s no glamour in air travel any more.

It’s a railway station with planes. Functional but grey.
Quite literally a train station with planes!

TBH, I think it is just a reflection of 20th and 21st century architecture in Geneva - dull as dishwater. Geneva is only a good-looking place because of the older buildings

Quite literally a train station with planes!

TBH, I think it is just a reflection of 20th and 21st century architecture in Geneva - dull as dishwater. Geneva is only a good-looking place because of the older buildings
The Palais des Nations is nice.

And for modern stuff I quite like the WMO building.

If they’d only fix that big burst pipe in the lake I’m sure it would bring the water rates down.

Oyibo

LE
There

If they’d only fix that big burst pipe in the lake I’m sure it would bring the water rates down.

There are occasional aberrations that get through the system.

But for a good example of replacing a good looking building with a shoebox, WIPO is right up there.

Which I suppose is my way of reinforcing @dropshortjock 's comments on Geneva

Yes but the level of the water in the lake will go up and my Classique Lake Geneva Swim from Lausanne to Evian will be even longer than at present, so don’t fixit.

Latest Threads