Worried about my phys

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fatboy88, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So im due to start phase one in 37 days.

Im bricking it to say the least...but mainly due to the fact that i run like an elderly woman; Im fairly big bult and never been one for running.
    I have always struggled with running, i am strong and have no problem lifting my own body wieght etc.
    Last time i did a BPFA i got 12mins run time, and im just worried my fitness is going to let me down.
    I am training, and trying to mix it up a little. I feel like my efforts are'nt going to be enough with the time i have remaining.

Currently i am running 3-4 miles twice a week, fartlek once a week and football 7 a side every monday. Swimming when i can make it down the gym if i dont feel too achey.

There gonna eat me alive when i get to basic! :roll:

Flame me please, i need some tough loving.
  2. Nah, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I wouldn't worry too much. With only a couple of weeks to go you're only going to hurt yourself if you try too hard to sort yourself out (12 mins is okay at your stage). Much better to taper your training down and concentrate on getting quality rest and preparing your mind. Try to 'detox' your body as much as poss by drinkinh lots of water and eating lots of fruit and veg. Remember that you're going to be under a fair bit of pressure in training. You don not want to be carrying any injury or health probelms as these will increase your burden. Relax and enjoy it. Physical fitness is important but it is certainly not the be all and end all of soldiering. It will come.
  3. Thanks for the advice Dragstrip. I never really thought about getting quality rest before I join.

On the upside, I tried my 1.5miler yesterday and got 10.59. So I am over the moon at the progress I have made! I know its still below what I need to achieve but it’s a step in the right direction for me.

4. I didn't think you needed to enter doing 9m 1.5miler, but leave Phase 1 with at least 9m 1.5miler?

Good on you for getting it done now though mate, but if im right youll have nothing to worry about if you can crack it out now.

Good luck, I've filled in my joining forms but a few days ago ready to send off for infantry.

5. Might be a daft question mate, but if you struggle with running why didnt you sack all other training (weights, swimming, football - the lot) and just concentrate on running?

If your only running twice per week, your body is going to take ages to get any better. I know its a bit late now, but you should have been aiming to run 5 times per week (ie Mon, Tue - rest wed - thurs, fri sat - rest sun) mixing hill running, longer distance & short, sharp 1.5 milers. Specific to task mate - if your bad at running then practice just that!!

As for now, I would still train building up to your start date but make sure you have quality rest periods, so your body recovers. Being big and strong is great, but it doesnt mean sh*te if you dont have the legs to carry you!!

Get the miles under your belt and good luck.