Worried about Bank Account for Phase 1

I am Irish and I currently live in Dublin. I am a bit worried that when I go to Pirbright/Winchester I will not have any UK bank account. I talked to my CSM and he told me there is services during week 1 for recruits to setup a bank account, is this true?

And if not, does anyone have any recommendations on how I would go about getting a UK account? Thank you.

JNM

Old-Salt
I am Irish and I currently live in Dublin. I am a bit worried that when I go to Pirbright/Winchester I will not have any UK bank account. I talked to my CSM and he told me there is services during week 1 for recruits to setup a bank account, is this true?

And if not, does anyone have any recommendations on how I would go about getting a UK account? Thank you.
Aren’t there any banks that operate in both? Personally I’d contact a few banks and ask about setting up an account, explaining your situation. Off the top of my head HSBC, Lloyds, Halifax, Santander, RBS would be where I’d enquire. Also Nationwide might be a decent option being a large building society.

Why do you think that he would lie to you?

Hi, if there are services then I wouldn't worry too much, however if you want to be squared early it shouldn't be too hard. When I set up my bank account in the UK (Dec 2017), I just changed my address to an English address (my aunty's house) with my existing bank in NZ. I then got them to print me out a bank statement to use as proof of address in the UK. I just went into a Lloyds branch with my passport and this 'proof of address' and set up an account, the bank card arrived in the mail a couple of days later. If I could do it fresh off the plane from New Zealand, you should be fine :cool:

Hi, if there are services then I wouldn't worry too much, however if you want to be squared early it shouldn't be too hard. When I set up my bank account in the UK (Dec 2017), I just changed my address to an English address (my aunty's house) with my existing bank in NZ. I then got them to print me out a bank statement to use as proof of address in the UK. I just went into a Lloyds branch with my passport and this 'proof of address' and set up an account, the bank card arrived in the mail a couple of days later. If I could do it fresh off the plane from New Zealand, you should be fine :cool:
You could phone a bank, explain you situation loosely and ask what they need for you to open an account.

Ulster Bank.

Part of RBS/NatWest so should be drama free. Wobble into a local branch or call them up

Payment Services Directive (which UK has already passed into national law so Brexit a non issue) exists to eliminate difficulties historically associated with opening and operating bank accounts across member states.

(In theory at least because banks do manage to make it way more difficult than it needs to be. Try opening a bank account in Italy for example)

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a branch of HSBC at Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 2, open one there before you go.

I’d say ring the customer service of your current bank and ask some questions like:
- will my atm card work in the U.K. (all machines?)
- if I’m being paid in Sterling what kind of exchange rate & Commission will they charge
- will I be able to do my online banking in the UK
- will there be additional bank charges incurred

If you don’t have loads of direct debits etc coming out etc, I’d just open a U.K. bank account.

Close the Irish account as otherwise you’ll be paying bank charges for no reason.

I assume the same questions above would apply to a U.K. bank account if you were home on leave.

Just done a Google with the search terms "soldier opening uk bank account irish" and it looks simple - you may only need your Irish passport (not even a proof of address, it seems). It'll be easier for you to look through the results than for me to list them.

I also looked up "post office banking" as this used to be the favourite in the very olden days and was surprised to find that it's operated by Bank of Ireland (UK), so that might also be something to consider.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I was looking at Holt's Military Banking and they seem to have some sort of way to apply if your from overseas or the Commonwealth. However, in the application it asks you for your Military ID which you do not get until Phase 1 I believe, has anyone used them before and had experience with this? Thank you.