Worlds least known bird found breeding in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. World's least known bird' found breeding in Afghanistan
    Reuters | 01/19/2010 3:07 PM

NEW YORK – Researchers have found in Afghanistan the first known breeding area of the large-billed reed warbler, which was dubbed in 2007 as "the world's least known bird species."

Researchers for the Wildlife Conservation Society and Sweden's Gothenburg University said they had found the breeding area in the remote and rugged Wakhan Corridor of north-eastern Afghanistan that has escaped the worst effects of war.

They used field observations, museum specimens, DNA sequencing, and the first known audio recording of the species to find the birds and verified the discovery by capturing and releasing almost 20 birds, the largest number ever recorded.

A preliminary paper on the finding appears in BirdingASIA, describing the discovery in Afghanistan as "a watershed moment" in the study of this bird.

The first specimen of the large-billed reed warbler was discovered in India in 1867 but the second find was not until 2006 in Thailand.
    More
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/features/01/19/10/worlds-least-known-bird-found-breeding-afghanistan?

2. I'm not surprised it's little known...

would you want to hide in a 'bird hide' and 'observe' the avian wildlife?
    then get taken for a spy and eviserated and beheaded....?

on second thoughts, whats bill oddie doing now?
    :soldier: :? :thumright:

3. If it is denounced as "un-islamic", it will not be breeding for much longer.

4. I thought that we were talking about the WRAC here! lol

5. All adds to the rich tapestry of life.

6. Stop the war.
    john

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well, if playing chess can get you threatened with death from the beardy weirdies, I wouldnt want to take any chances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8203830.stm

'But like music and TV, chess is also considered un-Islamic by the Taliban and the country's powerful conservative clerics.'

life without music... bunch of joyless tw4ts.

8. I suggest we Kill it and eat it, The best way to protect what could become an endangered species is to turn it into a delicacy, if everyone wanted to eat Pandas for example someone would find away to get them breeding

9. Why? Is it keeping you awake?

10. Middle of Day if you think about it, 7 hrs ahead.
    john
    Nice to know you care Phil.